- Director of Student Ministries
- Sierra Madre Congregational Church
- Posted: 11/8/2017
- Salary/Range: Based on Experience
- Pasadena, CA
Description:DIRECTOR OF STUDENT MINISTRIES
SIERRA MADRE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH – JOB DESCRIPTION (2017)
The Director of Student Ministries will develop and lead an evangelistically fruitful, growing, vibrant student ministry that partners with parents to make disciples of Jesus in line with the unique vision and values of Sierra Madre Congregational Church.
ABOUT SIERRA MADRE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
SMCC is a multigenerational, gospel-centered Church family located in the heart of Sierra Madre, a community bordering East Pasadena. We long to be a place where those who believe, and those who do not yet believe, can discover the life changing power of Jesus. We believe that the kind of change we most need—freedom from our self-centeredness, materialism, pride, un-forgiveness, addictions and greed—is impossible apart from the gospel.
1. Meets the spiritual and character qualifications of an elder (1 Tim. 3:1-7; Titus 1:6-9), including home and personal life.
2. Passionate about the way and mission of Jesus.
3. Gives evidence to being a person of prayer and of the Word.
4. Lives out of an on-going experience of the grace and mercy of God found in Christ.
5. Endorses and supports the church’s theological commitments and philosophy of ministry.
1. Intellectual & theological curiosity & integrity.
2. Strong work ethic and drive towards excellence.
3. Hospitable to those inside and outside the church.
4. No sacred/ secular divide, seeks to engage all of life—home, work, school, culture, etc—out of a distinctly Christian worldview and imagination.
1. Bachelors degree or higher highly preferred.
2. Gifted communicator (submit teaching sample audio)
3. Previous ministry experience as a youth pastor/ director in a local church setting.
• Served in a multi-staffed local church (preferred).
• Track record of building and leading teams.
• Part of the core leadership of a growing, evangelistically fruitful youth ministry.
4. Strong people skills, with the demonstrated ability to function as a leader-of-leaders in accordance with Ephesians 4.
5. High-capacity worker and able to manage time well.
6. Theologically astute, thoughtful, gospel-centered.
7. On-going commitment to lifelong learning as it relates to the position.
1) The Director of Student Ministries will work closely with the children’s director and high school and college director to develop shared values, a comprehensive strategy, and seamless transitions.
2) The Student ministries at SMCC will intentionally…
a. Form in students a biblical worldview & imagination so that they are equipped to think “Christianly” about a wider variety of issues and ready to face intellectual challenges to their faith.
b. Connect students to other students and leaders (and the larger SMCC family) so that students learn to follow Jesus in community with others.
c. Ground students in a gospel-centered life (as opposed to moralism and religiosity).
d. Engage students in God’s mission in both word and deed, both locally and globally (through prayer, short-term trips, service opportunities, etc).
e. Reach out to unbelieving students so that we see unbelieving students become committed followers of Jesus.
f. Help students understand how the biblical story helps makes sense of the whole of life—not just attending church—but school, sports, music, family, etc, in other words, how Christ interacts with culture.
3) The Director of Student Ministries will effectively communicate with parents and the church family about vision, values, changed lives and upcoming events, etc.
4) The Director of Student Ministries will help resource parents for the difficult work of raising teenagers in the gospel.
To Apply: TO APPLY: Send resume and audio/ video teaching sample to: Provide brief written answers to the following questions: 1. Tell me a bit about yourself—when did you become a Christian? Married? What do you like to do? What are som