- Vice President for Advancement
- Posted: 4/12/2021
- Salary/Range: Competitive non-profit wages & benefits
- Pittsburgh, PA (remote work possible)
Our mission is transforming college students to transform the world. We call college students to serve Jesus Christ with their entire lives by:
1. Sharing the Gospel with students and developing passionate disciples of Jesus Christ.
2. Serving together with the church and inviting students into the lives of local congregations.
3. Giving students a vision for serving Jesus Christ in their studies, jobs, communities, and families.
Our vision is to see a generation of college students transformed by the power of Jesus Christ and His Gospel, in partnership with the local church, reaching the world for the glory of God.
1. All things belong to God.
2. Jesus changes people’s lives.
3. We love college students.
4. We embrace God’s multiethnic kingdom.
5. Faithfulness is pursued together.
6. We celebrate life.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
This senior leadership position provides vision, guidance and management of CCO's donor development and fundraising activities, collaborates with the VP of Ministry/Director of Partnerships in cultivating potential church partners, and oversees marketing and communications, and events. The Vice President for Advancement is tasked with developing innovative ways to infuse the CCO with the resources, funding and strategic alliances to fulfill its mission. A distinctive feature of the CCO is our partnership with the local church and our theological approach to ministry and discipleship which views the arc of scripture via Creation, Fall, Redemption, and Restoration. With this model and theological approach the VP for Advancement will shape the future of an expanded development program, work with senior leadership and the Board of Directors to drive new revenue, maintain and elevate current donors, and bring fresh ideas and ambition to our ministry. The Advancement team consists of staff focused on development, funding, marketing and communications and support raising. This position reports directly to the CEO, will have direct Board of Directors interaction, and is a contributing member of the organization’s Executive Leadership Team.
● Develop and manage a comprehensive multi-year advancement strategic plan with milestones to achieve progress toward short-term and long-term fundraising goals aligned with the CCO’s strategic plan and goals.
● Lead the charge in taking the CCO’s unique contributions and mission to new constituencies and potential funding sources; promote development strategies that are tailored to the CCO’s programs and deep history.
● Establish a platform for the CCO’s gospel-centered mission that results in attracting and engaging new partnerships and avenues for campus ministry.
● Develop dynamic and proactive fundraising strategies including individual donors, institutional giving, gift planning, campaigns, alumni and constituent relations.
Fundraising and Donor Stewardship
● Supervise the leadership of all staff support raising ministry, articulating a vision for fundraising that, at its core, champions the biblical precedent for support raising, trusts in the ability of God to provide, promotes fundraising as ministry to donors and part of their discipleship, and calls staff to bear witness to Christ's work on campus for the spiritual benefit of each supporter.
● Work strategically with the Director of Support Raising to champion staff being fully funded as key to advancing the mission.
● Create a strategy for ministry account donors to become organizational donors, and set a tone that builds trust across all levels of staff for fundraising.
● Coordinate the management of all fundraising activities, including designing and implementing strategies for generating increased revenue for programs and capital needs.
● Establish development goals and objectives, and figure out priority activities to be undertaken.
● Oversee the management of effective fundraising and development events.
● Create and champion long-term relationships with current and new contributors.
● Oversee the customization of communications and actions for major donors.
● Leverage the CEO and Board of Directors to grow the donor base and enhance major giving gifts.
● Personally participate in top-level fundraising activities, including identification and cultivation of major donor relationships.
● Ensure a stewardship plan is created and followed that results in all donors over $10k feeling engaged and appreciated.
● Partner with Finance to improve and maintain gift processing policies and procedures, as well as to ensure detailed and accurate record-keeping.
● Coordinate the maintenance of a donor database ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of information (collect and build action items, all major interactions, personal information, relationships).
● Establish and maintain appropriate Development policies and procedures.
● Oversee organizational branding and messaging.
● Lead existing and develop new initiatives including website, E-Newsletter, web-based fundraising, and increased use of social media to broaden donor base and awareness.
● Oversee creation of all written fundraising materials, including grant proposals, reports, appeal letters and event invitations.
● Generate positive press coverage.
Proven Strategic & Organizational Leadership
● Servant leadership.
● Active walk with Jesus in demonstrative ways which act as a model to team members, including regular practice of spiritual disciplines and frequent prayer.
● Management of the Fundraising/Advancement/Development department, including strategy setting, budget and revenue planning and tracking.
● Supervision of direct reports, including performance and assessment, short and long-term strategic planning and objectives, budget administration, and personnel management.
● Departmental leadership in implementing relevant and engaging events and initiatives in a manner that welcomes people from diverse traditions, cultures, and perspectives.
● Ensures departmental collaboration and supports a matrix management approach.
REQUIRED SKILLS & CAPABILITIES
● Bachelor's degree
● 10+ years’ experience in not-for-profit or community fundraising which includes individual giving, planned giving, corporate and foundation giving, and experience with annual fund campaigns.
● 10+ years’ of leadership (people and organization) experience.
● 5+ year’s leading the fundraising or advancement function.
Skills & Capabilities
● Validated experience in budgeting and strategic planning.
● Deep knowledge of advancement principles.
● Consistent record of fundraising success, especially with campaign planning/execution and in major gift solicitations as well as cultivating diverse funding streams.
● Strong knowledge of federal and local giving regulations.
● Demonstrated success developing strong donor relationships and the willingness to get out of the office to meet prospective donors and establish effective communications.
● Demonstrated success exercising sensitivity to diversity.
● Wisdom in navigating relationships within a Christian community.
● Confirmed ability to establish relationships with internal stakeholders.
● A self-directed leader with an entrepreneurial spirit who is excited to scale our team and organization.
● An excellent project manager with a consistent track record to craft and implement people operations strategies that get results.
● A natural coach and mentor with an ability to develop relationships with all levels of the team, to relate well with others, to listen effectively, and to help employees at all levels achieve their development goals.
● A strong communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong presentation skills.
● A highly ethical individual with unquestioned integrity and the experience, confidence, and stature to effectively address critical HR and business issues with complete discretion and confidentiality.
● A data driven decision-maker with the ability to advocate for investments in people operations strategies from a return on investment perspective.
● A highly curious individual with a growth approach.
● Must be able to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
● Must be able to travel approximately 30% travel, as needed (post-COVID).
● Cultivate growth through regular worship in a local church, prayer, Scripture study, and other spiritual disciplines.
● Displays personal conduct consistent with CCO Statement of Faith, Core Values and the CCO employee handbook.
● Master’s degree
● CFRE Certification
● 5+ years’ experience fundraising in a faith-based environment.
● Capital campaign experience.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
To Apply: Anika Cordle, Director of Talent Acquisition & Mobilization: