Job Description: The Chaplain is responsible for providing comprehensive Christian pastoral ministry to the residents and staff of the correctional facility; provide other services to inmates, staff, public officials, and the community that will enhance the overall ministry.
Job Duties: General day to day job duties include the following:
- Provide comprehensive Christian chaplaincy services to inmates and staff: counseling, conducting/scheduling Christian worship services, Bible studies and arranging clergy visits, distributing literature and performing other pastoral and ministerial functions as appropriate.
- Facilitate access and ministry of religious volunteers for all faith traditions recognized by the facility.
- Handle emergency and death notifications among inmates and their families.
- Encourage and counsel inmates, correctional officers, and other facility staff.
- Recruit, supervise and train religious volunteers.
- Promote the visibility of the ministry in the community through jail tours and presentations to individuals, community groups and local churches.
- Fulfill administrative requirements of the facility and our ministry.
- Generate and file computer reports using a variety of software applications.
- Work with the local community (churches, individuals, organizations, businesses) to develop partnership support for the ministry.