Accounting and Bookkeeping
Director of Accounting
Reports to: CFO/VP for Administration
Hours: Full Time Exempt
Location: Cadence Headquarters, Englewood, CO
- 100% employer paid health insurance premiums for employee and qualified dependents (includes employer contribution of $150/month to HSA or FSA account)
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- Generous Sick and Vacation Leave
- 14.5 days Paid Holiday
- Christ – honoring work environment
Cadence International is looking for a Director of Accounting who will bring collaborative leadership, flexible tenacity, professional competency, and relational strength to help further the mission of “Sharing the gospel and our lives with the military community.” The financial landscape is one of stability and growth, with an annual budget of over $10 million. The staff culture is hospitable, authentic, relational, professional, and kingdom minded. The Director of Accounting has primary oversight of the day-to-day accounting operations and systems, produces internal financial reports, collaborates with other leaders in the organization, and serves as the supervisor for two full-time and two part-time Finance Department team members. Visit cadence.org for more information.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Oversight of Accounting/Finance Operations and Staff
- Supervise the finance staff in all day-to-day functions including accounts payable/receivable, fixed assets, account reconciliation, and donor services.
- Direct and support the ongoing training and development of subordinate staff members.
- Maintain chart of account codes in accounting software and auxiliary applications.
- Participate in and supervise monthly and year-end closing and reconciliation procedures.
- Manage the corporate credit card and expense reimbursement process and software.
- Help facilitate the annual budget process and assist with preparation of departmental and organizational budgets as well as budget variance reports.
- Assist in the coordination of the annual external audit and Form 990, working closely with the CFO and auditors in the preparation of audit papers, schedules, and other documentation.
- Ensure compliance with governmental tax and legal filing requirements and other reporting regulations.
- Assist with implementation, monitoring, and enhancing accounting/finance systems, processes, and internal control procedures.
- Function as the subject matter expert in the areas of day-to-day accounting operations. Provide oversight and ensure compliance.
Financial Transactions and Reporting
- Provide financial reporting and general accounting support to staff and missionaries.
- Perform and document financial analysis and review department account activity for accuracy and completeness. Provide education and information to team members related to their specific account activity.
- Electronically submit payments to vendors, employees, and field ministries.
- Track and report on all grant agreements and special projects.
- Reconcile investment income and provide reporting for reasonableness of gains and losses.
- Record financial transactions and entries in general ledger and appropriate sub ledgers, when needed.
- Maintain cash flow needs in appropriate accounts to ensure adequate cash for operations while maximizing income earned on cash.
- Prepare, distribute and file 1099s and form 1096 annually and any other IRS forms, as needed.
- Manage all sales tax and property tax exemptions and annual state registrations/renewals for all applicable states.
Training and Communication
- Assist in developing, revising, and distributing finance policies and other finance-related communications as needed.
- Serve as the accounting software lead, providing training and support to HQ and the field in all areas related to the HQ accounting software.
- Provide finance training to all new missionaries and staff members.
- Uphold a high level of professionalism and quality when processing all transactions and correspondence both within and outside Cadence.
- Participate in HQ Directors meetings and the coordination of HQ annual retreats.
- Attend Chapel weekly, and other meetings as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- B.A./B.S. degree in accounting, business administration, or similar field. Relevant experience in lieu of education may be considered.
- At least five years practical accounting experience – preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Previous direct supervisory experience required.
- Born-again, mature Christian with an affinity for the mission and work of Cadence International.
- Basic knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles).
- Must have a high comfort level and strong proficiencies with computer programs (MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook & Accounting software). Must possess a strong aptitude to learn, plan for and implement new applications.
- High comfort level with operating office equipment: printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners, and other applicable equipment.
- Continual interest in learning about new applications and products that will assist in productivity. Must possess the ability to learn, plan and implement.
- Ability to take initiative, analyze problems, identify alternatives, and take appropriate corrective actions; adaptability to new and changing situations; strong organizational skills; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and work under the pressure of deadlines; detail-oriented; ability to learn new skills and build collaborative working partnerships with others.
- CPA or other accounting certifications a plus.
- A working knowledge of Sage Intacct Accounting or similar nonprofit accounting software desired.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
Competencies for Success:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated planning and organizing skills.
- Adaptability – to culture, change, and tempo.
- Teachable – seeks guidance and asks for input, when needed.
- Servant leadership based in humility.
- Willingness to deploy Cadence Mission/Vision.
- Ability to think creatively and problem solve.
- Team player able to work independently and willing to pitch in on other projects lying outside of job description.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
Cadence International is an evangelical mission agency dedicated to reaching the military communities of the United States and of the world with the Good News of Jesus Christ. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, climb stairs, talk, listen and occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Important Notice: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the classification.
Equal Employment Opportunity: (Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans)
Cadence is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. The organization prohibits unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on age, race, sex, color, national origin or disability in accordance with applicable legal requirements. This prohibition includes unlawful harassment because of an individual’s membership in any of these protected classes.
Because it is a religious organization, Cadence is permitted by law to use its religious doctrines and practices as a basis for hiring and other employment decisions with all employees. In addition, employees having ministerial functions, including missionaries and employees in leadership roles, may be subject to special requirements or qualifications based upon religious principles. If you would like to review our Veteran and Disabled policies, please contact Human Resources at 303-762-1400 during normal business hours.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE AT https://cadence.org/apply-now/To Apply: ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE AT https://cadence.org/apply-now/