Youth and Children's Ministry
Director of Children & Youth Ministries
Director of Next Generations Ministry Job Description
Faith United Methodist Church
Supervisor—Senior Pastor & Staff Parish
Mission & Vision of Faith United Methodist Church
The Director of Next Generations is expected to work toward the vision of the global United Methodist Church, “making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” In addition, Faith United Methodist envisions itself participating in that mission by “becoming like the Good Shepherd to children and families.”
The Next Generations Ministry has a unique role in this mission and vision and has therefore crafted the following mission statement to guide its work among the students of our community. “Build young disciples for Jesus Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to children and youth ministry while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.”
Main responsibilities for Director of Next Generations Ministry:
NOTE: This will be a new position for Faith UMC and will combine both Youth and Children’s ministry. This role will be adapted to the right candidate’s talents.
- Communicate with parents and students weekly to keep them up to date on activities, events and opportunities
- Maintain a weekly email with news and updates
- Regularly update social media sites and utilize group texting
- Maintain relationships with the parents and guardians of students within the ministry
- Keep records of student participation and manage student ministry budget and funds
- Bring leadership and guide the work of the Youth Council and Kid’s Council
- Create agendas and run monthly meetings as necessary
- Find and invite parents and students to participate on the Youth Council and Kid’s Council for a suggestion rotation of 3 years
- Develop and implement fundraising campaigns for mission trips as well as special activities
- Work with the Youth treasurer to maintain a healthy balance of the Youth Council checking and Youth Mission savings accounts
- Develop and monitor annual children’s ministries budget
- Serve on committees as designated by the Governing Council
- Invite students to participate in the life and ministry of Faith United Methodist Church by being involved in programs, events and mission opportunities.
- Set overall vision for the Youth Ministry and carry it out
- Teach students the mission and vision, creating opportunities to discuss implementation
- Share vision with volunteers and leaders, implement any training required to implement
- Develop and maintain ministry through programs and events
- Plan or map of Spiritual Growth for the year, this would include topics, core truths, and Biblical concepts as well as spiritual practices for students to learn and participate in.
- Using the map as a guide, Director of Next Generations Ministry shall find or develop curriculum, studies, worship events and mission opportunities to incorporate into weekly meetings.
- Include events and programs that focus on team building, fellowship and community to build relationships between the director and students as well as the students to one another.
- Plan and provide leadership for all weekly events including Sunday school, Youth Group and Bible Study.
- Create and plan large-scale events for students to experience short-term, age group, Christian community
- Plan and bring leadership to the biennial summer mission trip. (Rotating between domestic and international).
- Plan and execute Sr. High camp for incoming 9th-graduates, partnering with That Thing through Impact 2818.
- Be the point person for all summer church camps elementary through high school, through Impact 2818, the camping ministry of the Indiana Conference of the United Methodist Church.
- Build and maintain relationships with students
- Meet regularly with students within the ministry
- Investigate the implementation of a Student Leadership Team
- Seek opportunities to get involved with local schools and other organizations to build relationships with students from the community
- Develop and maintain ministry through programs and events.
- Plan and provide leadership for all weekly events, including “Break-out” worship, Sunday School, Nursery & Toddler Class
- Provide curriculum for all Children’s age groups
- Provide and maintain supplies for all events
- Recruit, oversee, schedule, and train volunteers for all events
- Oversee paid nursery/toddler staff. Provide schedules
- Plan and oversee annual events such as VBS, Palm Sunday, Easter, Teacher Recognition Sunday, Promotion Sunday, Bible Buddies, Touch-A-Truck, Christmas program.
- Plan/order curriculum and supplies for VBS in conjunction with Kingdom Kid’s Director
- Recruit and oversee volunteers
- Plan and oversee setup and teardown of decorations/sets
- Provide and maintain supplies
- “J-Squad” (5th & 6th grades)
- Plan, organize, and delegate outreach/fellowship activities monthly
- Oversee security/name tag check-in system, record all family information
- Mailings: update postcards and emails to families, upcoming events, reminders, birthdays, etc.
- Maintain children’s library
- Provide children’s activity pages for worship services
- Present Children’s Chat during service, as requested by Senior Pastor
EDUCATION (preferred): Bachelor’s degree in Children and/or Youth ministry or comparable degree or experience.
EXPERIENCE: Previous experience in developing community relationships with youth and adults helpful
PERSONALITY: Outgoing, personable, flexible, Christian, Organized, and efficient.To Apply: https://justchurchjobs.com/apply/1624