Accounting and Bookkeeping
Director of Finance and Operations
Purpose: Responsible for the financial and operational needs of University Presbyterian Church in support of its leadership and mission. Serves as part of the management team, proactively sharing ideas and giving guidance on the financial and operational needs of the church.
Schedule: Part time, 20 hours per week spent on-site during normal office hours, including Tuesday afternoon staff meetings. Monthly attendance at several committee meetings, some that may be in the evening.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Working with UPC Treasurer, the Finance & Business Planning Committee, and the Financial Assistant, maintain appropriate and accurate church financial records, including the recording of receipts, execution of weekly bank deposits, processing and administration of vendor payments, monthly reconciliation of all accounts, and completion of all state and federal filings. Ensures existence of audit trail for all transactions. Works with external auditor in the development and preparation of periodic audits.
· Working with UPC Treasurer and the Finance & Business Planning Committee, communicates regularly about the financial health of the congregation, including monthly profit/loss budget performance statements, account balance sheets. In addition, interfaces with the investment committee. Provides timely responses to financial inquiries from committees, staff, and church members.
· Works with UPC leadership to plan for UPC’s ongoing financial health. Collaborates on the preparation of an annual UPC budget and the management of any capital campaigns or additional long-term financial vehicles. Assists with the UPC Stewardship process for both annual giving and long-term funds development. Communicates with donors including preparation of quarterly giving statements and acknowledgment of memorial and honorary gifts.
· Administers UPC’s human resource needs, including the preparation of payroll, appropriate maintenance of employee files and vacation time, execution of necessary background checks and documentation related to hiring and termination, management of employee benefits and board of pensions, and processing of year-end 1099s and W-2s.
· Provides strategic, managerial and logistical support for UPC’s facility operations, including the maintenance of church insurance records and vendor relationships. Collaborates with UPC’s Facilities Manager to ensure meeting of UPC facility needs. Provides strategic input relating to UPC’s ongoing operational and business strategies.
· The Director of Finance and Operations will attend weekly staff meetings, monthly meetings of the Finance & Business Planning Committee, as-needed meetings of the Stewardship Committee, (portions of) monthly meetings of the UPC Session, and seasonal meetings of the Budget Task Force.
· The Director of Finance and Operations will supervise the Financial Assistant as well as work in cooperation with UPC’s volunteer Treasurer. The Director of Finance and Operations reports to the Senior Pastor.
Key Competencies for Success
· High proficiency in working with budgets and numbers
· Exceptional organization and time management skills with keen attention to detail
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Ability to multi-task
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Innovative, enthusiastic, and problem-solver, with willingness to learn
· Proficiency with QuickBooks, payroll, and intermediate-level Excel experience
· Bachelors degree in accounting, business or finance preferred
· Strong proficiency in financial recordkeeping, bookkeeping, personnel, and insurance knowledge
· Strong knowledge of accounting principles
· Prior experience working in a church as an administrator preferred
· Proficient in MS Office Suite, database skills
· Must be able to pass a criminal background check
Benefits: Paid holidays, vacation, and PTO
Salary (20 hours a week): $40,000 per year
To apply for this job, please click here https://justchurchjobs.com/apply/3084To Apply: 512-476-5321