Director of Food Services
Spring Canyon Retreat and Conference Center (www.springcanyon.org), a ministry of Officers’ Christian Fellowship, is hiring for a full-time staff position: Director, Food Services. This position is available immediately, but ideally starts no later than 1 February 2023.
The Director, Food Services works for the Center Director and supervises and trains the Sous Chef, Cooks, Cooks-in-Training, Cook’s Assistants, summer staff, and volunteers. Serves as a member of the Spring Canyon ministry team, with a focus on refreshing and blessing guests and staff through food service in a spirit of Christian hospitality. Manages all aspects of Spring Canyon food services, to include the kitchen and dining facilities, and serves as the Primary Chef who performs hands-on food preparation. Provides full-kitchen management for a wide range of employees, some of whom have very little experience in a commercial kitchen–oversee and train kitchen staff as needed. Plans, prepares, and serves high quality, nutritious, and well-balanced meals, within budgetary limits. Applies Health Department rules and regulations in all aspects of food preparation and storage and maintains high cleanliness standards for the kitchen to meet Health Department specifications.
Spring Canyon is a retreat and conference center in Buena Vista, CO, about 120 miles west of Colorado Springs. Since 1962, Spring Canyon has served military families, couples, singles, and Christian groups from across the world as a “home away from home” for community and fellowship. It is nestled in the beautiful Collegiate Peaks on the edge of the famous Arkansas River Valley, and is a Christ-centered sanctuary for military families, groups and individuals, where the presence of God transforms lives. When guests drive down from the mountain after a retreat, our desire is that they are refreshed, equipped, and inspired to serve in the name of Jesus Christ, wherever God has called them.
What are we looking for?
- That a clear sense of God’s calling to this specific and sacrificial work will become manifest through the hiring process. This is the preeminent criteria.
- A demonstrated strong and growing Christian faith and desire to be part of the Spring Canyon ministry team.
- A belief that serving quality food is a ministry, with a real love to serve excellent food that engenders fellowship around the tables.
- A passion to minister to both guests and staff through competent, cheerful, and generous food service and hospitality.
- Ideally, but not essentially, someone transitioned from military service, with a strong professional and spiritual reputation.
- Ideally, but not essentially, someone with a history in OCF and Spring Canyon or Christian camping/conference center ministry experience and leadership.
- Strong management and leadership skills, including planning and organizing a large volume of work, creating a positive work environment for staff, team building, managing change, and handling conflict resolution.
- Culinary Arts certificate/degree; or 10 years of experience in similar work including supervision of skilled and unskilled labor and 5 years of managerial experience.
- Strong management and leadership skills in all aspects of food services, the kitchen, and dining facilities. Includes, but is not limited to budgeting, ordering, inventory control, preparing, and serving primarily family-style meals for groups of 10-250 or more people.
- Experience with a variety of cooking methods, including braising, searing, poaching, grilling, sauté, baking, etc.
- ServSafe Manager certified; or willing to become Manager certified within 3 months of hiring.
- A humble willingness to serve where needed most, including teaching young adult Cooks-in-Training and Cook’s Assistants, and working with teenagers.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across the organization. Ability to accept responsibility for assigned tasks and complete them on schedule. Ability to work effectively in a diverse workforce, including teenagers and young adults.
- View service at Spring Canyon as a ministry calling rather than just a job. Be totally invested in the vision and mission of OCF and Spring Canyon, and serve with a whole heart (1 Sam 12:24 and Col 3:23-24).
- Available soonest, but no later than 1 February 2023; financial freedom to work for ministry-level compensation; a workable family situation.
- A reasonable expectation that the applicant can and will serve for at least 3-5 years.
Serves at Spring Canyon and resides in the vicinity of Buena Vista, CO, or on Spring Canyon property, if housing is available. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position. Effective January 1, 2023, the annual salary will be approximately $50,000. The benefits of this position may include housing for the employee and dependent family members on conference center property. Additionally, meals are often available to the employee and dependent family members, when Spring Canyon is serving meals for programs and retreats–although Spring Canyon does not guarantee the availability of meals. The working hours required will be as necessary to carry out the responsibilities of the ministry. Due to the nature of Conference Center ministry, regular, full-time exempt employees are on-call and may be required to work irregular hours in order to meet guest needs. These may be long hours in a physically demanding environment, while standing on your feet for up to 90% of the workday. Must be able to lift 50 pounds. Occasional out-of-town and some local travel is required.
If you are interested in this opportunity, contact the Center Director, Kim Hawthorne (firstname.lastname@example.org, 719-395-2328) for further information and an application. Completed applications must be received NLT 10 Oct 22.
To Apply: Kim Hawthorne, email@example.com