Youth and Children's Ministry
Director of Youth Ministries
Littleton United Methodist Church (LUMC) in Littleton, Colorado is seeking an energetic leader for its program for sixth-grade through high-school-aged youth and their families. This comprehensive program has developed ministries that the new director may build upon, including Sunday School, weekly fellowship, a weekly athletic program, Bible studies, and yearly mission trips (with established fundraising approaches).
A successful candidate must have a strong faith and love of Christ, as well as a passion for youth ministry. The new Director of Youth Ministries must be enthusiastic, organized, familiar with United Methodist theology and doctrine, and able to attract and communicate with youth, parents, and volunteers.
This position is part of a professional church staff that coordinates ministry across different program areas. Program planning is done on a continuing basis, with annual and semi-annual planning sessions with other program leads. Experience with UM youth programs, as well as experience planning active, meaningful mission trips is preferred.
Strong communication skills are essential for success in this position. The ability to utilize multiple methods of communication with youth, parents, and the congregation – including traditional methods such as (limited) print media and emails, as well as social media (Facebook, Instagram, and more).
Our Youth program has its own facility (The Way Station) on the church campus. The Director of Youth Ministries works in coordination with our Business Administrator and Board of Trustees to ensure that the facility is clean and orderly. This position is the first line of contact for outside youth groups who periodically stay with us.
LUMC is a strong, growing church with a long history of a strong, active youth ministry that celebrates and teaches our Methodist heritage. We also have a strong children’s ministry and a powerful music ministry, both of which integrate closely with the youth group.
We are located in Littleton, Colorado, a southwestern suburb of Denver. The region boasts unlimited opportunities for missions, both urban and rural, and for recreation in the beautiful Rocky Mountains.
Supervised by: LUMC Senior Pastor
Hours per Week: Full Time Professional Staff
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 5 years’ experience with mid/large sized church/youth ministry or equivalent; preference will be given to candidates with theological education (particularly with a focus on the Wesleyan theological tradition)
- Ability to communicate, relate, and work well with youth, families, and volunteers
- Experience in Youth Church-based and Christian/Methodist program development that involves both activities and solid faith-related content
- Ability to envision, design, create, implement and evaluate a multi-faceted Youth Ministry
- Ability to recruit, train, and empower volunteer leaders
- Familiarity with the doctrine and practices of the United Methodist Church, including the distinctive Wesleyan understanding of divine grace, with the ability to effectively teach in these areas
- Ability to articulate an overarching mission for the ministry and speak to the roles each piece of programming seeks to accomplish
Responsibilities: (not an all-inclusive list)
- Develop and oversee curriculum and interactive programs for Middle School and High School youth (UMYF, Sunday School organization, Bible Studies, Confirmation classes, weekend retreats, summer mission trips, etc.)
- Recruit, train, resource, training, and delegate work among Youth Sponsors & volunteers including establishing and maintaining a ministry culture in line with LUMC safe sanctuary practices
- Establish and maintain a Youth Advisement Council, made up of LUMC youth and parents as an advisory board which offers support and advice regarding the ministry direction and strategies
- Encourage youth participation in other church areas, including worship, service opportunities, and the general life of the church
- Develop and support student leaders within the youth ministry and the church
- Serve as a support resource and work with the parents/guardians of youth
- Create and share information about Youth Ministry events, fundraising, and community outreach programs the LUMC community and others as appropriate
- Manage and maintain a responsible budget for youth ministries from various funds
- Encourage growth in the youth program through new and creative ideas and by sharing responsibility with youth, their parents, staff, clergy, and volunteers
- Coordinate youth activities with other church ministries (Music, Children’s, etc)
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications and experience
Salary Range: $45,000 to $55,000To Apply: firstname.lastname@example.org