Services (Janitorial, Maintenance, Construction, Housekeeping, Landscaping, etc.)
Facilities and Maintenance Manager
PURPOSE: Represent and conduct the ministry of Spring Canyon in accordance with the Officers’ Christian Fellowship (OCF) and Spring Canyon Ministry Plan through facilities and maintenance or as directed by the Center Director or Director of Operations. Serve as a member of the Spring Canyon ministry team, with a focus on providing spiritual refreshment and blessing to every guest. Conduct programs and activities at Spring Canyon that draw guests closer to Jesus Christ and make an impact on the way they live for Him. Help ensure that Spring Canyon is a place where members and guests of OCF are emboldened in their faith and walk, equipped to live out their faith and run their race, encouraged along the entire course of their race, and engaged in their calling as they live out their lives. Ensure maximum appropriate utilization of the conference center.
SUPERVISOR: Director of Operations
SUBORDINATES: Facilities and Maintenance Assistant(s); Senior and Cornerstone Staff during the summer; volunteers and other temporary employees who work in the facilities and maintenance arena.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Key responsibilities of this position are as follows:
- Live faithfully as a disciple of Jesus Christ and in obedience to God’s Word. Subscribe to the OCF Statement of Faith and Participation, and Biblical Guidelines for Member and Leader Conduct without reservation. Be an active OCF member.
- Responsible to disciple, counsel and teach subordinates, encouraging and equipping them for growth in their faith in Christ. Responsible to establish and maintain a healthy spiritual environment in which subordinates can work, learn, and develop.
- Facilitate adult discussions and Bible studies, as assigned; help set a Christ-honoring spiritual tone for the conference center. Lead prayer and devotional times with subordinates as appropriate to promote their spiritual growth.
- Team–Contribute to the success of Spring Canyon by being an integral part of the ministry team and by supporting the Center Director to create a God-honoring environment where people encounter Christ and are encouraged in their walk. Contribute to the fullness of the “heartbeat” of Spring Canyon and encourage God-loving relationships with every staff and family member at Spring Canyon.
- Support all eight of Spring Canyon’s ministry activities (Summer Celebration, Rocky Mountain High, Father-Teen Adventure, Climb Together, Winter Sports Retreat, PEAK Internship/Fellowship, non-summer/off-season groups, and private bookings) with facilities and maintenance activities.
- Facilities and Grounds Maintenance: The duties of this position are approximately 60% hands-on maintenance and construction and 40% administration (developing scopes of work, reviewing plans, purchasing and delivering materials, selecting contractors, training and counseling subordinates, etc.). This position requires a good working knowledge in several skill fields, including electrical, plumbing, HVAC, roofing, carpentry and vehicle maintenance.
- Maintain and improve facilities and grounds in a manner that provides a safe and comfortable environment for all staff and guests.
- Prepare requirements documents and scopes of work. Review plans and specifications from architects and engineers to ensure compliance with requirements documents, scopes of work, and compatibility with Spring Canyon architecture and infrastructure.
- Facilitate planning meetings with all directors in order to prioritize and execute corrective maintenance and minor construction projects – including hiring contractors when appropriate.
- Organize, schedule and execute the preventive maintenance program, including (but not limited to) inspections and lubrication; changing oil and filters; testing and replacing batteries; and scheduling professional inspections and maintenance of fire sprinkler systems, fire extinguishers, chimneys, septic tanks and backflow prevention assemblies.
- Efficiently and cost effectively plan, prioritize, delegate, participate, supervise, inspect, and document the work of maintenance and improvements for facility and grounds. Responsible for oversight and accountability of all maintenance and construction work on Spring Canyon property, whether performed by in-house staff, volunteers, or contractors.
- Participate in the preparation and administration of the facility maintenance budget; submit budget recommendations; monitor expenditures; prepare cost estimates; submit justifications for equipment; monitor budget expenditures.
- Monitor and control supplies and equipment; order supplies and tools as necessary.
- Corrective Maintenance Work includes (but is not limited to):
- Trace and label electrical circuits; reset tripped breakers; troubleshoot and replace electrical outlets, switches, dimmers, light fixtures, diffusers, ballasts, bulbs and electrical heat cable for gutters and downspouts.
- Repair and replace toilets, faucets and sinks; check and repair leaking pipes, fittings, and valves; inspect and repair hot water heaters, radiators and fan coil units.
- Inspecting, servicing, and repairing all types of mechanical and HVAC equipment, including maintain and replace motors, belts and bearings; maintain air compressors; troubleshoot and repair furnaces, fans, dampers and diffusers.
- Inspect and maintain motor vehicles, including filter, belt and vehicle fluid changes; tire repair and replacement; brake maintenance and replacement; troubleshoot and replace basic electrical components, including batteries, alternators, distributors, spark plugs and wires.
- Plan, measure, and install basic structural wood framing for new construction and renovations; maintain and replace doors, windows, and frames; remove and replace ceiling tiles and grids; repair and replace floor tiles, hardwood flooring and baseboards; repair gypsum wallboard; repair cabinets, desks and chairs; interior and exterior painting and staining.
- Inspect, maintain and replace roofing components, including decking, ice and water shield, standing seam metal roofing, shingles, snow and ice breaks, gutters and downspouts.
- Be prepared to respond to emergency maintenance during all hours of the day.
- Drinking Water: Serve as Drinking Water Treatment and Distribution System Operator. It is expected that the Facilities and Maintenance Manager will become licensed as a Colorado Class S Certified Water Professional within six months of hiring. Ensure Spring Canyon complies with all state and federal regulations and is prepared for state and federal inspections at all times. Comply with all required testing and submit required and accurate documentation to the state in a timely manner.
- Wastewater: Serve as Wastewater Collection and Treatment Operator in Responsible Charge, to include maintenance and management of the on-site wastewater treatment plant (WWTP). It is expected that the Facilities and Maintenance Manager will become licensed as a Colorado Class S Certified Wastewater Professional within six months of hiring. Ensure Spring Canyon complies with all state and federal regulations and is prepared for state and federal inspections at all times. Comply with all testing and submit required and accurate documentation to the state and federal government in a timely manner.
- Vehicle Maintenance and Fleet Management:
- Maintain conference center vehicles and trailers in a safe and responsible manner so that appropriate vehicles are available for use when needed. Keep the Center Director and Director of Operations informed when vehicles are not available due to maintenance or safety issues.
- Manage vehicle preventive maintenance program, to include seasonal shutdown / startup.
- Facilitate staff scheduling and priorities for vehicle use so that requirements are forecasted in a timely manner.
- Coordinate vehicle licensing and registration with the state, county and insurance company so that vehicles and trailers are appropriately registered and insured at all times.
- Supervise, maintain and enforce driver training program so that year-round staff and summer Senior Staff (over the age of 21) are properly trained and certified to operate conference center vehicles. Maintain records of staff members trained and authorized to operate conference center vehicles.
- Develop and supervise the safety inspection program for all facilities and equipment. Conduct and document safety inspections and make recommendations when accidents occur.
- Maintain and organize current records for maintenance and construction work, including plans, specifications and construction documents for all facilities and infrastructure.
- Regularly meet with subordinates to ensure their personal and professional growth and spiritual well-being.
- View your service at Spring Canyon as a ministry calling rather than just a job. Be totally invested in the vision and mission of OCF and Spring Canyon, and serve with a whole heart (1 Sam 12:24 and Col 3:23-24).
- Any other duties the Conference Center Director or his designated representative may assign (e.g., housekeeping, kitchen and dining room crew, teaching, etc.).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A demonstrated strong and growing Christian faith and desire to be part of the Spring Canyon ministry.
- A passion to minister to guests and meet their needs (possibly at all hours of the day/night).
- Ideally, but not essentially, someone transitioned or retired from military service with a strong and current professional and spiritual reputation.
- Ideally, but not essentially, someone with an established history in OCF and Spring Canyon or Christian camping/conference center ministry experience and leadership.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in engineering, construction, or related fields; or 10 years of experience in similar work including supervision of skilled and unskilled labor and 5 years of managerial experience.
- Strong management and leadership skills, including planning and organizing a large volume of work, creating a positive work environment for staff, team building, managing change, and conflict resolution
- Ability to manage projects involving multiple trades and outside contractors while completing them on time and within budget
- Ability to read and work from construction plans
- Experienced with use of Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, including use of email.
- Proficient with spreadsheet and word processing software such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across the organization.
- Ability to accept responsibility for assigned tasks and complete them on schedule.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse workforce.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Serves at Spring Canyon and resides on Spring Canyon property in staff housing, or obtains own housing in the vicinity of Buena Vista, CO. This is a regular, full-time, exempt position and the working hours required will be as necessary to carry out the responsibilities of the ministry. Due to the nature of Conference Center ministry, regular, full-time exempt employees living in conference center housing are on-call 24 hours per day with no provision for direct compensation. Being on-call does not prohibit employees from effectively controlling their time or leaving the premises. This position may be required to work irregular hours in order to meet guest needs. Occasional out-of-town and some local travel is required.To Apply: email@example.com