Hospitality (restaurants, hotels, etc.)
Food Service Manager / Head Cook
Education: Required – High school diploma, or equivalent
Preferred – 2-year Associate’s degree from accredited program/institution, or two or more years of college-level coursework
Work Experience: Required
• 6 months as cook and/or assistant chef or related experience and/or training in cooking for large groups
• Experience in managing large inventory and budget
• Experience in supervising multiple personnel
• 2+ years as cook and/or assistant chef, preferably at a resort, camp or similarly situated facility, and/or training in cooking for large groups
Summary: The Food Services Manager/Head Cook will plan, direct, and supervise food service, which includes providing three nutritious, economical meals a day and snacks twice a day for up to 277 guests while following Department of Health regulations. Responsibilities include all aspects of food preparation and general kitchen clean up.
To successfully perform this job, the employee may be expected to perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
1. Oversee the inventory and ordering of food, equipment, and supplies and arrange for the routine maintenance, sanitation, and upkeep of the kitchen, its equipment, and facilities.
a. Order food and kitchen supplies consistent with menus and enrollment counts, staying within the budget. Evaluate current season and make suggestions for following season.
b. Maintain high standards of cleanliness, sanitation, and safety and supervise staff to ensure standards are met by all.
c. Clean and maintain all food-service areas, including kitchen, dining hall, storage, and kitchen recycling.
d. Inspect equipment and ensure equipment is repaired as necessary.
e. Promote practices that seek to reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle as much as possible.
2. Manage the daily operations of the food and dining service.
a. Oversee nutritionally balanced meals, snacks, and pack-out food from the planned menu.
b. Prepare foods to accommodate dietary requirements for individuals and groups (i.e., people with food allergies, diabetes, etc.) as needed.
c. Ensure the service of meals through directing the work of other kitchen staff.
d. Ensure safe and efficient preparation and service of meals.
e. Prepare foods that taste good and offer a pleasing presentation.
3. Meet with Executive Director on routine operations and personnel management of the kitchen.
4. Maintain attitude of leadership, respect, and cooperation within the kitchen staff and volunteers.
5. Participate in all team and all staff meetings and in-service training sessions.
6. Participate in formal and informal performance appraisal given by Executive Director.
7. Hire and train kitchen staff with Executive Director.
8. Maintain time and payroll records. Keep neat, orderly records.
9. Participate in leadership meetings, assist in budget development for all food service’s needs, engage in the creative process for program development and expanding services.
10. Execute tasks as assigned by Executive Director
1. Maintain sanitary conditions in work and food service areas that meet or exceed all licensing and policy requirements.
2. Operate kitchen equipment and report any malfunctioning equipment immediately.
3. Produce a standard food product by weighing and measuring ingredients accurately.
4. Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all kitchen/food services
5. Develop a top-notch culinary experience/menu relative to the operating environment, that sets SCR apart from like facilities
6. Maintain knowledge of materials and equipment used in food preparation and cooking.
7. Review and evaluate all food service surveys for quality improvement.
8. Maintain inventory log of food in freezer (date frozen), pantry goods and expiration dates.
9. Maintain inventory of all kitchen equipment and service records.
10. Schedule and facilitate all health inspections
11. Implement Silver Cliff Ranch safety protocols including evacuating with children and other staff in case of an emergency.
12. Work evenings, weekends and holidays as necessary or requested by the Executive Director.
13. Maintain confidentiality in all areas of the service population and program operations.
14. Maintain Silver Cliff Ranch professional and ethical standards including demonstrating respect for agency staff, children, and community members and complying with required dress code at all times.
Credentials, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of standards of food preparation, serving, and kitchen procedures.
2. Ability to lift and carry 30 pounds including unloading food, supplies, and equipment as needed.
3. Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site and facilities and guest behavior.
4. Ability to provide First Aid and to assist guests in an emergency.
5. Maintain current licenses and certificates required for the position including, but not limited to:
☐ First Aid
☐ Emergency Behavior Intervention
6. Pass a pre-employment drug screen and random drug screens throughout employment.
7. Provide proof of work eligibility status upon request.
8. Pass a pre-employment and biennial criminal background checks.
9. Demonstrate the ability to:
a. Respond sensitively and competently to the service population’s cultural and socio-economic characteristics
b. Communicate effectively in writing and verbally in English and perform simple arithmetic calculations
c. Provide excellent customer service using organizational and planning skills
d. Maintain the highest standard of personal hygiene
e. Work in a fast-paced environment and maintain emotional control and professional composure at all times
f. Maintain computer literacy required meet the responsibilities of the position
g. Work effectively and without intensive supervision both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
10. Willingness to learn and demonstrate a working knowledge of Silver Cliff Ranch policies and procedures.
11. Willingness to take on tasks or assist in areas outside of traditional area as a core member of a small full-time team.
We are committed to following immunization recommendations produced by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC). As such, our company policy requires that all employees must receive a COVID vaccination and an annual Influenza vaccination or obtain an approved exemption as a medical or religious accommodation. This is a condition of employment and all new hires will be responsible for providing proof.To Apply: https://bcfs.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/BCFSCareers/job/Nathrop-CO/Food-Service-Manager---Head-Cook_REQ-013122