IT and Web
IT Technician and System Administrator
Gordon-Conwell is a multidenominational Protestant graduate school, unique with its broad array of over 2,100 students and 200 faculty and staff from 98 denominations and 64 countries. We offer a residential model of education at South Hamilton, MA; an urban context model offering classes in Boston, MA; adult educational models in both our Charlotte, NC campus and our offerings in Jacksonville, FL; in addition to online and cohort models involving students from around the world.
Our mission is to prepare men and women for ministry at home and abroad. Rooted in the gospel and God’s Word, the seminary seeks to develop Christian leaders who are thoughtful, globally aware, spiritually mature, and ready for a broad array of ministries. While being historically orthodox and evangelical, we seek to address the issues of our times with both relevance to the culture and faithfulness to Christ and God’s truthful Word.
Under the supervision of the IT Manager and Senior System Administrator, this position is part of the Technology Services team. Working closely with the IT Manager and other institutional Technology Services staff, the Technician is the primary contact for support of Charlotte-based users and IT systems and provides support to users at all campuses. The Technician handles frontline support and IT systems maintenance and issue resolution, utilizing the IT Service Management platform to provide structure for continually improving customer service, perception, and satisfaction. The Technician serves as part of the Technology Services System Administration team. The Technician possesses skills in the areas of customer service and advanced understanding of various technical systems.
• Service Desk Support: Work with customers (staff, faculty and students across each campus and program) to troubleshoot issues related to hardware, operating systems (Mac and Windows), business applications, printing, and network systems. Clearly communicate with customers and other Technology Services staff regarding troubleshooting steps, workarounds, solutions, and necessary escalations, always prioritizing the experience of the customer. Thoroughly document all steps taken to remediate an issue in Ticketing system for historical analysis and future issue mitigation. Communicate in a variety of modalities to best serve the customer and other IT resources including telephone, email/ticketing system, Microsoft Teams, etc. (50%)
• System Administration: Participate in administration of GCTS systems, including but not limited to: Access Rights Management (Active Directory/Azure AD), Mobile Device Management (Jamf), Microsoft Systems (Office 365), print management (Papercut), phone system (RingCentral). Work with external partners and Technology Services staff to ensure system utilization follows best practices. Participate in ongoing assessment of current systems and policies, as well as identification, design, and integration of new systems. Document all systems with proper access controls and information for Service Desk knowledge and use as appropriate. (20%)
• Hardware and Network Infrastructure Deployment and Maintenance: As the lead IT staff at the Charlotte campus, serve as ‘boots on the ground’ for deployment, maintenance, and issue resolution for all IT hardware and systems, including but not limited to computers and associated peripherals, printers, phones, and wired and wireless network infrastructure and equipment. GCTS partners with a Managed Services Provider with proximity to Boston and Hamilton campuses for high level network, security, and systems support. The Technician works cooperatively with outside partners and other Technology Services staff to provide on campus support for issue resolution within SLA parameters. (20%)
• Classroom Technology Support: In partnership with Technology Services AV staff, support the utilization of technology in the classroom. Assist faculty, AV staff, and student workers as the technical issues arise or when gaps in classroom support exist. (5%)
• Maintain current industry knowledge on relevant technology standards and practices. (5%)
• Perform other duties as necessary.
• Industry Comprehension: Must have broad technical comprehension to fulfill key responsibilities.
• Communication and Interpersonal Effectiveness: Must have strong customer service skills; ability to build and maintain relationships through positive customer service experiences and user engagement. Must have strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate in a manner that allows information to flow freely and smoothly to perform job responsibilities in a timely fashion.
• Technical Troubleshooting: Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and employ systematic diagnostic processes.
• Strategic and Creative Thinking: Demonstrated ability to create long-term and short-term strategies to accomplish goals. Creative thinking and problem solving will allow the department to quickly pivot focus and avoid silos.
• Analytical Skills: Ability to analyze, interpret and evaluate data to make data-driven decisions and report to leadership.
• Teamwork: Ability to collaborate with others inside and outside of IT. This position will require regular interaction with AV and Digital Education staff, Faculty, Staff, and Administration.
• Physical: Able to lift 40 pounds.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent training and experience.
• Minimum of three years previous experience in higher education, non-profit, or corporate technology support.
• ITIL certification preferred. Relevant technical certifications preferred.
Please apply through Gordon-Conwell’s Career Center available here: https://www.gordonconwell.edu/employment/
Please include these documents in either Microsoft Word or PDF formats:
• A cover letter addressed to Matthew Barnes, IT Manager and Systems Administrator, explaining your interest in the position.
• A formal CV that includes the names of at least three references.
No hard copy materials, please. Opportunities to interview will be made available at the search committee’s initiative. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.