The Lead Pastor of Faith Baptist Church will be a man who is a leader among leaders as he bears the
responsibility for the ministry of the church along with the elders and deacons. He should be a Godly
man who will be a servant leader of his staff and the church. He will cast vision for the church to
influence other believers to minister intentionally according to their spiritual gifts under the guidance of
the Holy Spirit. He will seek to disciple the church through intentional teaching/preaching Sunday
mornings and other ministry opportunities. In addition, he will involve himself in the community,
building relationships with those outside the church and thereby modeling for the church what it
means to “Go and make disciples.” In doing so, he will help fulfill the mission statement of Faith
Baptist Church, “Pursuing People with the Passion of God.”
Education & Experience
1. A seminary degree from an accredited seminary.
2. Some primary experience in ministry and in working with or leading other ministry staff.
3. A deep and contagious relationship with Jesus based upon his personal faith in Jesus Christ.
4. Having spiritual gifts of pastor/teacher, leadership, wisdom and faith.
5. Experienced and comfortable in helping others discover and walk by faith.
6. A proven record of motivating, training and developing volunteers.
7. If married, has a strong marriage with his wife actively supporting the ministry.
8. Experienced in spiritual development, counseling, pastoral care, leadership training and
1. He is ultimately accountable to Jesus Christ as His Under-shepherd for the well-being and the
spiritual development of the Christ followers of Faith.
2. He is accountable first to the Elders and then the Congregation of Faith Baptist Church.
3. He reports directly to the Elders, working with them as a Lead Elder to oversee the spiritual
development of the church.
4. He works directly with the Church Council developing the programing for the church, and
encouraging the deacons as they lead their ministry teams.
1. He is committed to working with the present church staff and volunteers in their ministry areas.
2. He will oversee and encourage all staff to use their gifting effectively in their areas of ministry.
3. All pastoral and ministry staff report directly to the Lead Pastor
1. He exhibits a strong, dynamic relationship with Jesus Christ.
2. He seeks to continually grow in his walk with Jesus through personal Bible study, prayer and other
spiritual disciplines consistent with the scriptures.
3. He demonstrates the biblical qualifications of an elder. (1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1)
4. He understands the balance of grace and truth when ministering to all people.
5. He is an encouraging pastor who provides servant leadership to those under his care.
6. He can nurture, equip and empower volunteers in their area of giftedness.
7. He is a self-starter with the ability to delegate responsibilities to others.
8. He is able to cast vision for the church.
9. He has strong communication skills in both large and small group settings.
10. He is a strong teacher with good administrative and organizational skills.
11. He understands how teams operate and is supportive of the ministry teams in the church.
12. He exemplifies a life lived for the honor and glory of Jesus Christ.
13. He understands and reveres the Scriptures and uses them as he teaches and leads both
unbelievers and Christ-followers.
14. He enjoys being with people.
15. His theological beliefs and convictions align with Faith Baptist Church.
16. He complies with a background check to insure he has no past criminal record or convictions.
Essential Job Functions
1. Teaching and preaching biblical truth to groups and individuals so that they are influenced to apply
these truths to their own lives.
2. Develop spiritually mature Christ-followers through the ministry of the church.
3. Remain current in ministry trends in the region, nation and world.
4. Champion the vision for the church.
5. Creatively motivates our church to intentionally reach out to our communities with the gospel of
6. Participate with other pastors in Converge North Central and in our community.
7. Represent Faith in Hampton and Franklin County.
8. Maintain regular office hours.
9. Oversee all pastoral and ministry staff.
10. Oversee the leadership selection process through the nomination team.
11. Provide monthly reports to the elders and the church council.
12. Provide ministry summaries to the congregation at the annual meeting.
13. Lead weekly staff meetings to discuss the direction of the ministry and administrative details
necessary to provide an effective working staff team.
14. Provide a time of encouragement, prayer and social interactions for the pastoral and ministry staff.
15. Provide care and encouragement to congregation through hospital visits, home visits and
16. Attend all elder and church council meetings.
17. Serve the needs of the church and lead it as a servant of Jesus Christ who was willing to wash the
feet of his disciples and loved them to the end.
This description outlines the primary job responsibilities as the Lead Pastor of Faith Baptist Church.
The position may and probably will include other functions, not specifically mentioned. Faith Baptist
Church is affiliated with Converge North Central and Converge Worldwide.