Community Fellowship of East Bernard
Pastor Job Description
This job description is provided for prospective candidates for the position of Pastor of Community Fellowship of East Bernard (CFEB) as a portrayal of the expectations associated with serving in this position. It should not be construed as being comprehensive, inclusive, or exclusive of other potential duties and responsibilities.
The CFEB Pastor is to serve as the chief spiritual leader and overseer of this local church – feeding, leading and nurturing all affiliated with CFEB. The Pastor’s main responsibilities are to communicate God’s Word, minister to spiritual needs and provide biblical leadership for the church, while living as an example of one given to humble service of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Minimum Training and Experience:
A Master of Divinity Degree (or equivalent) or training and experiences which would qualify a person to pastor and administer a Bible-believing, Christ-centered church.
- Converted and called to the pastoral ministry.
- Spiritual and personal integrity and maturity.
- Strong desire and ability to share Christ and disciple others.
- Endearing and engaging interpersonal skills.
- Obvious motivational skills.
- Ability to communicate well as a preacher and teacher of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Proven love for the fellowship of a local church.
- Ability to empathize with and provide caring, biblical guidance to individuals and the congregation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proclaim the Word of God through preaching, exposition, and teaching of the Bible as the inspired Word of God during weekly worship services and other opportunities as may arise.
- Develop goals and vision in partnership with the CFEB Board of Directors (Board).
- Oversee staff and volunteer leaders in developing and carrying out programming designed to fulfill the goals and visions of CFEB.
- Direct plans for ministry and church growth.
- Develop and fine-tune the church structure based on a team philosophy of ministry in recognition that all believers are called to minister the gospel through each one’s own spiritual gifts.
- Motivate, equip and nurture the people of the church through example, preaching and teaching of God’s Word and spiritual counseling in order that each will take his or her place in serving God.
- Spend significant time in personal prayer, Bible study, and spiritual development.
- Facilitate the contact and visitation of hospitalized, grieving, and hurting affiliates of CFEB, recognizing that the responsibility for making such contacts and visitation should be shared with others in the church with the spiritual gifts and abilities that would enable them to be effective ambassadors for Christ.
- Be available by phone, in the office, or at another known, accessible location in the community sufficiently to meet the needs of the congregation and accomplish the tasks associated with being the fulltime Pastor. Maintain an active email account and be responsive to text and email messages from CFEB affiliates.
- Be familiar with and utilize modern communication media, including the church management software Proclaim, Facebook or other appropriate social media, and the CFEB website https://cfeb.church.
- Officiate at weddings and funerals.
- Oversee church discipline and manage conflict in the church. Seek to reconcile relationships and promote unity within the church.
- Manage his own financial matters with integrity so as not to bring reproach upon the church.
- Serve as advisor to the Board on all matters that come before the Board.
- Work with various standing and special teams in accomplishing their respective duties.
- Lead in the observance of the ordinances of the church.
- Reside within 15 miles of the community as housing availability allows. Any chosen residence outside this radius will require Board approval.
- Cooperate with area pastors and leaders in matters of mutual interest and concern; represent the church in school, community, and other civic matters as may be of benefit to the goals and visions of CFEB.
The successful candidate for this position will be the first compensated Pastor of CFEB, therefore no former compensation package exists for reference either by the Board or the candidate. However, so that candidates may assess their own financial fitness for this position, the Board provides the following ranges to be used as guides for this purpose. CFEB is seeking a fulltime pastor, however qualified and motivated bi-vocational persons are invited to apply with the understanding that the below-stated ranges and availabilities of salary and benefits would be adjusted to fit any reduced time/energy availability when considering bi-vocational applicants.
- Salary and Housing Range – The combination of the Pastor’s Salary and Housing Allowance will fall in the range $55,000 to $75,000 annually to be determined by the Board based on the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
- Health Insurance – reimbursement or direct payment of health insurance premiums up to $1000 per month for the applicant’s selected health insurance plan. Applicant is responsible for all other health care costs including coverage, deductibles, drug costs, dental and vision for himself and other family members that may or may not be covered by the selected health insurance plan.
- Travel Cost Reimbursement – monthly reimbursement for documented travel miles at the maximum IRS-established reimbursement rate (currently 65.5 cents per mile) for travel while administering pastoral duties (not to include mileage between home and local church and civic events).
- Telephone and Internet – CFEB will cover the cost of the Pastor’s cell phone and internet and the Pastor’s provided cell phone number is to be readily available for use by CFEB affiliates. CFEB will provide sufficient internet service at the Pastor’s residence sufficient to accomplish online communications, networking, and studies as may be beneficial to serving as Pastor.
- General Reimbursements – reimbursement of other Board-authorized expenses that may arise from time to time.
- Continuing Education – CFEB will cover the cost of continuing pastoral education up to $1500 annually with prior Board approval.
PASTOR SELECTION PROCESS:
The Board has appointed a Pastor Care Team (PCT) to handle the solicitation and initial vetting of pastoral candidates with the intention of the PCT presenting a narrowed slate of candidates to the Board in April 2023 for a final discernment period regarding the calling of a preferred candidate pastor. This discernment period may include invitations to preach at CFEB.
Following an appropriate discernment period, the Board will determine whether to propose the preferred candidate to the congregation for a confirmation election. If the Board chooses to propose the candidate, it will assemble a salary and benefits package and will communicate the intention to propose along with the salary and benefits package to the candidate.
An appropriate period will be allowed for the candidate pastor to prayerfully discern God’s calling to serve as Pastor of CFEB. Should the candidate pastor embrace the calling, a confirmation election by the membership will be called and if successful will result in the candidate assuming the role as soon as is practicable.
It is the goal of CFEB to complete this process in a manner that would allow for the confirmed candidate Pastor to begin full responsibilities on or before August 1, 2023.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
To Apply: email@example.com