Learning Center Lead Teacher
Overview of Open Door Ministries
Open Door Ministries exists to provide practical help and hope to people in urban Denver who are homeless or low income. Our primary objective is to move people toward self-sufficiency by helping change the circumstances and life patterns that have held them captive to poverty and addictions. Through 18 distinct programs, we focus on tangible needs like food, shelter, access to education and employment training, as well as intangible needs such as friendship, hope, and Christian spiritual guidance. To learn more about Open Door Ministries, please visit our website: odmdenver.org.
|Title of Position||Lead Teacher (School-Age Classroom)|
Supervisor: Learning Center Director
Hours: Full Time Position; 40 hours/week
Compensation: Hourly; Generous benefits package; opportunity to raise additional salary
The Lead Teacher at the Open Door Learning Center is responsible for planning and implementing developmentally-appropriate programming for up to 21 elementary-aged children. This includes encouraging children’s growth in multiple areas of life, effective communication with parents, and supervision of assistant teachers and aides. The Open Door Learning Center is a part of Open Door Ministries.
- Required: ECE classroom teacher qualifications by the State of Colorado
- Strongly Preferred: One to two years’ experience working in an After School program or similar elementary-aged environment
- Education: Associates Degree in Education or similar field preferred
- Working knowledge of or desire to learn and implement trauma informed best practices to create an emotionally safe classroom.
- Experience with Conscious Discipline preferred.
- Advancement opportunities available
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and execute enriching daily programming for Elementary-aged children in a year-round program
- Invite and incorporate the ideas of assistant teacher and aides
- Assume responsibility for planning a visually-pleasing, intellectually-stimulating, child-centered environment; maintain classroom in an attractive condition
- Determine individual students’ academic levels and needs; Engage in tutoring
- Coordinate and participate in transporting students via 15-passenger vans
- Communicate regularly with parents regarding their child, activities of the Learning Center, and any other concerns
- Physically participate with children in a variety of contexts: indoors (at table, on floor,) outdoors, on field trips, and other situations
- With Director, develop and pursue a plan for professional development
- Accurately complete and submit all daily, weekly, and monthly forms and records, including but not limited to: attendance, staff/child ratios, CACFP meals served, outcomes, etc.
- Must be skilled in verbal and written communication, demonstrate professionalism and confidentiality
- Must be able to lift children/equipment weighing up to 50 pounds and utilize child-sized furniture or sit on the floor as appropriate
- Attend ODM/ODF chapel services and ODM monthly staff meetings
- This position is required to attend Open Door Fellowship Church or Westside Church Internacional for 6 months
- Exhibit integrity, patience, wisdom, and other relevant character qualities
- Display ability to build and strengthen positive relationships
- Lead as a heartfelt team member of the Open Door Ministries staff
- Show evidence of a daily walk with Christ
- Cover those in your area of leadership in prayer
- Show respect for the leadership and members of ODF and WCI Church
- Commitment to excellence as one of the public faces of the ministry
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Work environment is both indoor and outdoor. Outdoor activities can be in extreme weather conditions such as rain, snow or high temperatures
- This job involves sitting, standing, walking, running, and driving a large vehicle
- Must be able to lift children/equipment weighing up to 50 pounds
To apply, send resume to Cindy Bellin or visit www.odmdenver.org and click on the “Join Us” tab.To Apply: email@example.com