Mentoring Specialist I
About Save Our Youth (SOY)
Save Our Youth is a faith-based youth development organization connecting young people to hope through long-term mentoring relationships. We collaborate with individuals and groups in the community to increase awareness of kids’ resilience and to support their success. Save Our Youth mentors bring experience, compassion, long-term commitment, and intentionality to provide kids a caring advocate by their side.
The Mentoring Specialist I (MS I) is responsible for case management of up to 40 one-on-one mentoring matches. This position exists to ensure a successful match between an adult mentor and youth (age 10-17) by providing ongoing support, training, and encouragement to mentors, mentees, and families. The MS I will also make mentoring matches and be trained in screening and interviewing potential mentors and mentees.
Duties and Responsibilities
Case Management Responsibilities:
- Maintain a caseload of up to 40 one-on-one mentoring matches.
- Coordinate match process between mentors and mentees and/or receive new or long-term transfer matches. New matches are contacted weekly in the first month.
- Contact mentors at least quarterly to provide proactive support, monitor mentor relationships, and provide coaching. Be comfortable having difficult conversations.
- Contact mentees and their parent(s)/guardian(s) at least on a quarterly basis to ensure safety, mentee engagement, and overall mentee satisfaction.
- Meet with mentors and mentees yearly to help advance the relationship and set goals.
- Maintain monthly touchpoints with mentors.
- Communicate all relevant information to matches. Including but not limited to upcoming events, training resources, and requests from other departments.
- Perform all administrative tasks to manage the matches, including maintaining professional case notes and database records of phone calls, meetings, and activities.
- Communicate case challenges and seek feedback through ongoing one-on-one meetings with direct supervisor and/or group supervision with the Program Team.
- Coach and lead mentors in how to best support their mentee.
- Interview potential mentors and mentees.
- May include remotely managing mentoring matches in other cities.
General Program Responsibilities:
- Maintain a high level of mentoring supervision while also being passionate about more youth being mentored.
- Collaborate with churches, schools, and community organizations to support matches.
- Assist with and/or lead the creation, development, and improvement of current programmatic processes and materials.
- Engage and be proactive during meetings and other methods of professional development and support. This includes but is not limited to meeting with supervisor, program meetings, and staff meetings. Several yearly events are held.
- Facilitate spiritual duties as needed, including praying with mentors, mentees and families, leading bible studies/devotions, etc.
- Contribute to a team approach by accomplishing other duties as assigned. Could include inquiry follow-up, recruitment efforts, events, development, education, training, etc.
- A committed Christian who demonstrates a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Strong passion for the SOY mission and vision.
- Alignment with SOY Core Values and Statement of Faith.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
- Experience in counseling, human services, or social work preferred.
- Experience working with, and/or in-depth understanding of, culturally diverse and under-resourced populations.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred.
- Ability to build rapport quickly with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office. Ability to organize and track many simultaneous tasks.
- Strong interpersonal written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience managing others desired.
- Strong work ethic and self-starter.
- Committed to personal and professional growth. Seeks and applies feedback from coworkers and SOY leadership.
- Have reliable vehicle, proof of insurance, and an acceptable driving record. Comfortable driving on the highway and distances of up to an hour regularly.
- Available to work regular evenings and occasional weekends.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary Range: $20.82 – $24.00/hour.
- Health and Dental Insurance are 100% covered for employee, dependents may be added at employee cost.
- PTO: Flexible PTO plan for vacation, personal, and sick time; 11 paid holidays (includes employee’s birthday each year); paid office closure from Dec 24th – Jan 1st annually; and 2nd Friday each month individual spiritual retreat.
- Other: Hybrid work model, 3% employer 403(b) retirement account match, medical and transportation FSA, worker’s compensation, unemployment, staff development, and employee-paid benefit options.
Apply at https://jobs.gusto.com/postings/save-our-youth-mentoring-specialist-i-denver-metro-f5fc026a-bfd3-431e-abbe-23fc22cc8449.To Apply: Don Kerns at firstname.lastname@example.org