About Save Our Youth (SOY)
Save Our Youth is a faith-based youth development organization connecting young people to hope through long-term mentoring relationships. We collaborate with individuals and groups in the community to increase awareness of kids’ resilience and to support their success. Save Our Youth mentors bring experience, compassion, long-term commitment and intentionality to provide kids a caring advocate by their side.
The half-time Mentoring Specialist is responsible for case management of up to 25 one-on-one mentoring matches. This position exists to ensure a successful match between an adult mentor and youth (age 10-17) by creating new matches and then providing ongoing support, training and encouragement to mentors, mentees, and families. This is currently a part-time position, but the hope is that this will turn into full-time if the candidate is the right fit when program expansion deems necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
Case Management Responsibilities:
- Maintain a caseload of up to 25 one-on-one mentoring matches.
- Interview potential mentors and mentees.
- Coordinate match process between mentors and mentees.
- Contact mentors on a monthly basis to provide proactive support, monitor mentor relationships and provide coaching. Be comfortable having difficult conversations
- Contact mentees and their parent(s)/guardian(s) at least on a quarterly basis to ensure safety, mentee engagement, and overall mentee satisfaction.
- Assist mentors and mentees in setting long and short-term goals.
- Perform all administrative tasks necessary to manage the matches, including maintaining professional case notes and database records of interventions and match activities.
- Communicate challenges and seek case feedback through ongoing one-on-one meetings with direct supervisor and/or ongoing group supervision with the program team.
General Program Responsibilities:
- Assist with and/or lead the planning and implementing of mentor recruiting efforts, including church recruiting events, mentor recruiting campaigns, and mentor inquiry follow-ups.
- Collaborate with churches, schools, and community organizations to recruit mentors/mentees, as well as to provide additional services to support matches.
- Assist with and/or lead the creation, development and improvement of current programmatic processes and materials.
- Assist with and/or lead the planning and implementation of programmatic events, including back-to-school night, Christmas Party, graduation, and other events.
- Contribute to a team approach by accomplishing other duties as assigned. Could include development, education, training, etc.
- Facilitate spiritual duties as needed, including praying with mentors, mentees & families, leading Bible studies/devotions, etc.
- A committed Christian who demonstrates a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Strong passion for the SOY mission and vision.
- Bilingual Spanish preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required (willing to consider someone working towards a degree, or strong relevant work experience in place of degree).
- Experience in counseling, human services, or social work is preferred.
- Experience working with, and/or in-depth understanding of, culturally diverse and economically disadvantaged populations.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Experience managing others.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Ability to build rapport quickly with diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Strong work ethic.
- Committed to personal and professional growth by seeking and applying feedback from coworkers and SOY leadership.
- Must have reliable transportation with proof of insurance and an acceptable driving record.
- Able to drive to multiple locations in a day.
- Available to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Salary and Benefits
- Starting Salary Range: $20,000 – $22,500
- PTO: Flexible PTO plan for vacation, personal, and sick time;11 paid holidays (includes employee’s birthday each year); paid office closure from Dec 24th – Jan 1st annually; and 2nd Friday of each month for individual spiritual retreat
- Other: Hybrid work model, 3% Simple IRA match after one year, medical FSA, worker’s compensation, unemployment, staff development, and other employee-paid benefit options