Pastoral Resident (full-time, paid)
Pastoral Residency Program (PRP)
Description & Goal
The PRP aims to systematically add to the experience of Masters of Divinity students or graduates in 8 Core Competencies. Education is the foundation on which the PRP will build through practical experience.
The 8 Core Competencies
- Self-Awareness: Knowing the uniqueness of personality and wiring. Personality/attribute assessment. Gifts and abilities. Challenges and Changes
- Operations: What does it take to run a church or ministry on a daily basis? Budgeting. Recruiting volunteers. Building strong accounting systems. Building maintenance. Staffing. Legal requirement. Boards.
- Pastoral Care: The daily work of a pastor that extends beyond the weekend. Hospital visitation etiquette and expectations. Home care. Pastoral counseling. Death and funerals. Weddings. Emergencies. Benevolence. Prayer.
- Preaching and Teaching: How to prepare a sermon, bible study or class. Sermon planning, writing, structure and delivery. Finding their “voice”. Liturgy.
- Theological Formation: Building confidence in articulating theological convictions in a winsome manner. Intellectually challenging reading. Robust conversations. Diversity in viewpoints. The importance of prayer/meditation. Fullness of the gospel (Kingdom & Cross).
- Leadership Formation: Discovering leadership style and strengths. Reading and workshop training. Leadership personality testing. Leadership practice. Leadership realities. Dealing with people. Importance of humility. Casting vision.
- Soul-Care/Self-Care: The importance of having a healthy body, mind, soul, spirit. Caring for self without guilt. Healthy relationships. Rhythms of life. Sabbath. Spiritual formation. Financial health. Physical health. Mental health.
- Multi-Site/Multi-Ministry/Multi-Ethnic Realities: Learning how a multi-site/multi-ministry/multi-ethnic church functions and gaining intimate knowledge of the various departments. Adequate exposure to all ministry departments and leaders. Challenges of multi-site church. Para-church (service) ministry within the church. Delimitations.
- A two-year, full-time paid pastoral position at Crossroads Church (50k yearly)
- Two residents per 18-24 month period
- Residents will begin program in May and September
- Residents are supervised by and report to PRP Director
- Candidates will apply and be approved by Church Council
- Residents will follow a guided 8 module format with each module focusing on a Core Competency. Each module will run approximately 3 months in length.
- Residents will do extensive reading, discussing, writing, application, and practice in close and regular contact with the Director
- Residents will be fully immersed into the life and movement of Crossroads Church
- Residents will join and/or lead a Life Group
- Residents will be fully functioning members of the church staff
- Residents are not necessarily considered candidates for employment at Crossroads Church after residency
- Crossroads will assist in post-residency ministry placement
- Residents will be evaluated in an ongoing fashion with formal evaluations happening after every two modules