JOB TITLE: Senior Pastor
HOURS: Full-Time/Salaried/Exempt/Pastoral Staff
The Senior Pastor is God’s called and gifted leader and advocate for Riverwood’s vision and mission for the purposes of leading, modeling, and teaching God’s ways.
● Commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord
● Leadership, giftedness in ministry, and willingness to serve (1 Peter 5: 2-3)
● Spiritually grounded, i.e. not a new believer (1 Timothy 3:6)
● Ability to communicate biblical knowledge (1 Timothy 3:2)
● Good reputation within and outside the church (1 Timothy 3:2, 7; Titus 1:6)
● Self-control and biblical attitudes in relationships (1 Timothy 3:2-3, Titus 1: 6-7)
● Measure of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)
Education and Experience
● Completed a Master of Divinity degree with an accredited evangelical seminary
● Completed a Bachelor’s degree in ministry from a Christian College and a willingness to complete further education
● Five or more years of previous pastoral experience (may be as associate, youth, or lay leader)
● Commitment to Riverwood’s statement of faith, vision, purposes, values, and people
● Participating member of Riverwood (see Constitution, Article Four) or will become one
● Baptism by Immersion or willingness to be baptized
● Accountable to: God, Riverwood’s vision, Board of Elders
● Accountable for: Board of Elders, Riverwood’s mission and strategic plan, Riverwood staff
RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS:
● Develop and lead weekly Sunday Celebrations that glorify and worship God
● Prepare and deliver Biblically based messages for Sunday Celebrations
○ Provide relevant and practical application of the scriptures to the everyday life
● Take responsibility for Riverwood’s regular practice of the biblical ordinances of baptism and communion
● Participate at weddings, funerals, etc. as needed and as determined by the Board of Elders
● Oversee adult, youth, and children’s education programs
● Participate on Board of Elders, incorporating leader development as a component
● Develop and oversee Ministry Team meetings for the purpose of leader development
● Lead and mentor Riverwood staff, including hiring and arranging training
○ Perform annual, documented evaluations with Riverwood staff
○ Evaluate healthy functioning of ministry teams alongside Board of Elders
● Provide opportunities for all involved with Riverwood to discover and utilize God-given gifts
● Enrich personal leadership skills through leadership seminars, coursework, books, etc.
● Work together with Board of Elders in discerning, promoting, and implementing God’s vision and direction for Riverwood to achieve its stated mission
Guide & Model
● Petition the Lord in prayer for Riverwood and it’s people
● Personal relational evangelism with the unchurched and lost
● Maintain a weekly Sabbath and a daily habit of spiritual disciplines
● Pursue growth through study and education, both as a pastor and as a person
● Live a balanced and healthy lifestyle
● Maintain personal accountability with a mentor
● Provide counsel in crisis situations for a maximum of four sessions (more in-depth counseling will be referred and/or coordinated through other ministries)
● Ensure relational care is taking place through small groups, coaching, and other relationships
● Affirm, thank, and recognize Riverwood family and special guests for their contributions, especially those who provide an exceptional and/or excellent ministry to the Kingdom
Community Connection & Beyond
● Participate in Converge North Central, including statewide church planting strategies
● Establish and ensure Riverwood’s community involvement with the area body of Christ.
● Contribute to the local paper as requested
Riverwood is using Converge P3- P3 lead for our pastoral search. Apply directly at www.p3.church
3. Riverwood Constitution: (insert link)
4. Riverwood Church:
Riverwood Community Church started in 1995 by local community members who felt led to plant a new church. It is located just outside the city limits of Cannon Falls, MN near Lake Byllesby. Riverwood’s congregation is made up of individuals of all ages and walks of life. We have a strong community of younger families worshipping alongside mature adults and all ages in between. Our smaller community affords us the opportunity to break generational lines in order to truly grow with Christ. We pride ourselves on knowing each other and supporting one another in the joys and sorrows of life. Additionally, we have many involved in leading and supporting the day to day operations of the church. While we are led by an Elder Board that is comprised of men, women are valued and hold leadership roles in many other areas of the church. Our congregation has a “can do” attitude, and often comes together to serve others and the Lord.
The heart in everything we do is to bring people into a relationship with Jesus Christ and to help them grow in that relationship. Our mission is to Go Up, Go Deep and Go Out. Go Up toward the goal of knowing Christ fully through weekly worship, sermons, and prayer meetings. Go Deep together in our walk with Christ through small groups, book clubs, bible studies, conferences, men’s and women’s ministries, and programming for our children and teens. Finally, Go Out building relationship bridges in our community and world that lead people to Christ through summer community children’s programming, grief share, Cannon Falls food shelf, and local, national, and global missions.
5. Cannon Falls:
Cannon Falls is a growing small town (pop. 4,083) located in southeastern Minnesota. It is surrounded by many other small communities and is centrally located on Highway 52 about 40 minutes from both Rochester to the south and Minneapolis/St. Paul to the north. Cannon Falls offers the advantages of small town living, a friendly atmosphere, yet provides access to urban amenities.
Cannon Falls is a beautiful setting year round and offers a vast array of recreational opportunities for people of all ages and interests throughout all four seasons. Main Street houses many locally owned shops and restaurants. Outdoor attractions include a community pool, John Birch Park, three local golf courses, a multitude of parks and playsets, snowmobiling, canoeing on the Cannon River, or bicycling on the 19.7 mile long Cannon Valley Trail. Lake Byllesby Reservoir, the largest lake in southern Dakota County, offers two beautiful parks, camping, fishing, boating, swimming, splash pad and ice fishing. Here is more information about exploring Cannon Falls and experiencing nature in the area https://www.cannonroots.com/ .
The majority of families that attend Riverwood are from the Cannon Valley area which includes Cannon Falls, Randolph, Dennison, and Sogn Valley area. Students in the area have many opportunities to attend different schools based on their location and needs. Each program has opportunities for a comprehensive education, fine art, and athletic participation.
· Cannon Falls Area Schools http://cannonfallsschools.com/ . Elementary School with Preschool – 5th grade, grade sizes are 61-83 children. High School and Middle School for grades 6th-12th grade, grade sizes are 85-100 children.
· Randolph School https://www.randolph.k12.mn.us/ . Elementary school with Preschool- 6th grade, grade sizes are 50-71 children. High School and Middle School for grades 7th-12th grade, grade sizes are 50-75 children.
· St. Paul’s Lutheran School https://school.stpaulscannonfalls.com/. Grades Kindergarten – 8th grade. Kindergarten- 3rd grade has 17 children and 4th-8th grade has 14 students.
· A strong homeschool community with a Christian co-op called Cannon Falls Christian Co Op Cannon Falls Christian Co-op | (cannonfallschristiancoop.com)
To apply for this job, please click here https://justchurchjobs.com/apply/2547To Apply: https://justchurchjobs.com/apply/2547