“The Senior Pastor’s job description is to be the shepherd of the Church. Taking heed to the
Biblical qualifications and the need for personal spiritual development, he leads the Church
in worship of God, building of believers and reaching the world with the message of Jesus
As we search for the man God has already chosen to be the next Senior Pastor of Calvary
Memorial Church, the Leadership Team has been led by the Holy Spirit to seek a man who
demonstrates many of the following attributes. Recognizing that no man is perfected in his
Christian walk, we seek a man who is living for Christ and growing in pursuit of the traits as
1. He and his family sense a calling from God to serve as Senior Pastor at Calvary
Memorial Church (John 10:2-4 and 14-16)
2. He is a mature believer in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior (Ephesians 4:14-16;
Philippians 3:12-15; II Peter 1:3-9; I Timothy 3:1-7)
3. He has experienced a believer’s baptism by immersion (Matthew 3:16; Acts 8:36-39)
4. He must be ordained, or willing to be ordained.
5. He satisfies the requirements and demonstrates the core beliefs reflected in the CMC
Statement of Faith and Bylaws.
6. He exhibits the fruit of the spirit in all aspects of his life (Galatians 5:22-23;
Colossians 3:12-14; Titus 1:7-8)
7. His preaching (proclaiming the Word of God and compelling listeners with the truth of
Scripture) and teaching (explaining the truth in Scripture and helping apply God’s
Word to daily life) are biblically grounded and centered (II Timothy 3:16-17; Titus
➢ Preaching and teaching are focused upon and led by the biblical text
➢ Recognizes the power of the Holy Spirit to work through God’s Word
8. He exhibits proven spiritual leadership (Philippians 2)
➢ Can equip the congregation and staff to read and understand the Bible
➢ Can equip the congregation and staff to grow in their spiritual walk with Christ
➢ Can proclaim Christ clearly to unbelievers
➢ Can help others fall in love with Christ and His Word
9. He regularly practices core spiritual disciplines (Philippians 4:6-8; Ephesians
➢ Has an active prayer life
➢ Engages in personal Bible Study
➢ Engages in personal devotional time (silence and solitude)
➢ Utilizes accountability partner(s)
➢ Shares his faith with others
10. He exhibits proven organizational leadership (I Peter 5:1-3)
➢ Leads by example and intentional personal engagement
➢ Possesses organizational leadership skill set
➢ Organizational vision is in line with the Holy Spirit’s leading for CMC
➢ Experience evidences the ability to disciple and develop staff
11. He is an experienced ministry leader (Philippians 2:19-24; I Timothy 4)
➢ Has proven achievement in church and ministry growth and development
➢ Has a ministry focus of bringing congregants to Christ and into Christian
obedience (evidenced by decisions for Christ and baptisms)
➢ Embraces Calvary Memorial’s missions’ focus, as expressed in local outreach,
national outreach, and international missions
➢ Is an effective communicator in all aspects of ministry
➢ He satisfies requirements to serve as an Elder (I Timothy 3:1-7; 5:17-25;
I Peter 5:1-4)
12. He leads his family in accordance with Scripture (I Timothy 3:4-5; Titus 1:6)
13. He understands biblical manhood, womanhood and parenthood and applies these
concepts to his life, family, and ministry (Proverbs 31:10-31; Ephesians 5:22-23;
6:1-4;I Peter 3:7)
14. He should be qualified by biblical/theological education.
1. He shall prioritize prayer and ministry of the Word in accordance with Acts 6:4.
2. He is expected to preach at least 80% of the year during all scheduled services.
3. He shall be responsible to give oversight and direction for all aspects of the
4. With respect to baptism and communion, he shall conduct these himself, or, in the
event he is unable to do so, he will ensure that a qualified officiant does so in his
5. With respect to weddings, parent-child dedications and funerals, he shall conduct
these himself or ensure that a qualified officiant does so in his place.
6. He shall be involved in strategic planning, problem solving, and coordination of
the vision and ministry of the church with the Elder Council, church staff, and lay
7. He shall be involved in leadership development and equipping the church to do
the work of the ministry.
8. He shall be active in shepherding, counseling, and community involvement.
9. He shall be responsible to present a written report on the work and health of the
church at the annual business meeting.
10. He shall be a voting member of the Elder Council. He shall provide a monthly
written report on the work and health of the church to the Elder Council
11. He may, at his option, attend committee meetings of the church.
12. He shall supervise, direct, and evaluate church staff members in cooperation with
the Elder Council.
13. He shall serve as a representative of the church to the community and the broader
body of Christ.
1. He should have the desire to remain in long-term ministry with Calvary Memorial
2. He will be expected to take at least one day off per week (not Sunday). A second
day off during the week will be strongly encouraged.
3. He should regularly take advantage of personal development opportunities such
as conferences, seminars, and the like.
LINE OF AUTHORITY
The Senior Pastor will be directly responsible to the Elder Council.