Recent Book Publications
Introduction to Biblical Interpretation, 3rd ed. Co-authored with Craig L. Blomberg and Robert Hubbard, Jr. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2017.
The New Chosen People: A Corporate View of Election, revised and expanded edition. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2015.
Handbook for Personal Bible Study. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2008.
Become What You Are. Spiritual Formation According to the Sermon on the Mount. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2006.
"Ephesians." In Expositor's Bible Commentary. Ed. T. Longman, III and D. E. Garland. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006.
Full Publication List
Books Authored, Co-Authored, and Co-Edited
- Introduction to Biblical Interpretation, 3rd. ed. Co-authored with Craig L. Blomberg and Robert L. Hubbard, Jr. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2017. A workbook and DVD course also accompanies this textbook.
- The New Chosen People: A Corporate View of Election. Revised and expanded edition. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2015.
- Handbook for Personal Bible Study. Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 2008.
- Become What You Are. Spiritual Formation According to the Sermon on the Mount. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2006.
- "Ephesians." In Expositor's Bible Commentary. Gen. ed. T. Longman, III and D. E. Garland, Vol. 12, 2nd ed. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006, 19-173.
- Ephesians: An Annotated Bibliography. New York: Garland Publishing, 1996.
Peer-Reviewed Scholarly Articles
- “Can You Worship Anyplace? Reflections on How the New Testament Answers the Question.” In Midwestern Journal of Theology 9/2. (Fall 2010): 96-121.
- Notes on "Romans" and "Ephesians." In the Apologetics Study Bible. Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2007.
- "Exegetical Rigor with Hermeneutical Humility: The Calvinist-Arminian Debate and the New Testament." In New Testament Greek and Exegesis. Essays in Honor of Gerald F. Hawthorne, ed. A.M. Donaldson and T.B. Sailors. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2003, pp. 23-36.
- "Evangelical Hermeneutics." In Initiation into Theology. Ed. Adrio König. Pretoria, South Africa: J. L. Van Schaik, 1998.
- "Reading Ephesians: The Glory of Christ in the Church," Southwestern Journal of Theology 39/1 (Fall, 1996), pp. 14-19.
- "The Sermon at Nazareth (Luke 4:14-22)." In Christian Freedom: Essays in Honor of Vernon C. Grounds, ed. K. W. M. Wozniak and S. J. Grenz. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 1986.
- "Noisy Gong or Acoustic Vase? A Note on 1 Corinthians 13.1." New Testament Studies 32/2 (1986): 286-289.
- "Paul's Use of kalein: A Proposal." Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 27/1 (1984): 53‑64.
- "Bless Your Persecutors." Moody Magazine 100/5 (May/June 2000), pp. 33-40.
- "Think on These Things." Moody Magazine 99/1 (September/October 1998), pp. 31-34. Reprinted in The Christian Reader, July/August 1999, pp. 59-62.
- "Do All Need Christ?" Moody Magazine 98/1 (September/October 1997), pp. 27-29.
- "Don't Love the World (1 John 2:15-17)." Decision 38/6 (June 1997), pp. 31-35.
- "Faith." The Sermon Builder 2/1 (Spring, 1993) 10.
- "Behold the Man: Angry!" Moody Monthly 91/7 (March, 1991): 18-19.
- "The Tale of the Tree and the Temple." Moody Monthly 85/4 (December, 1984): 92ff. [includes side-bar suggesting helps for doing narrative sermons].
- "When Does Praying Become Pestering?" Moody Monthly 85/3 (November, 1984): 30ff.
- Articles in The Small Group Letter (Navigators): "Mathētēs," Vol. 1/1 (April, 1984); "Präys," Vol. 1 / 2 (May, 1984); "Gonypeteō," Vol.1 / 4 (July-Aug. 1984); "Philadelphia," Vol. 1/5 (September, 1984); "Hypokrisis," Vol. 1/6 (October, 1984); "Eusebeia," Vol. 1/7 (Nov./Dec., 1984); "Palingenesia," Vol. 1/8 (January, 1985); "Auxanō," Vol. 1/9 (February, 1985).
Dictionary & Encyclopedia Entries
- "Sacred Texts: Hermeneutics." In Encyclopedia of Language & Linguistics - Second Edition, 14 volumes. Editor-in-chief, Keith Brown. Amsterdam et al.: Elsevier, 2006, Vol. 10: 723-29.
- Seven articles in Dictionary of Biblical Imagery. Ed. Tremper Longman, III, et al. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1998.
- "Election." In Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Developments. Ed. R. P. Martin and P.H. Davids. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1997.
- "Perfect, Mature." In Dictionary of Paul and His Letters. Ed. G. Hawthorne and R. P. Martin. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993, pp. 699-701.
- Eighteen articles for Nelson's Bible Dictionary. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1986.
Book Reviews & Other Work
- Numerous book reviews in various journals including: Ashland Theological Journal, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Westminster Theological Journal, Themelios, Scottish Journal of Theology, Denver Journal, The Bible Translator, et al.
- Chief exegetical consultant and chairman of exegetical committee for the New Testament edition of Eugene Peterson's, The Message. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 1993.
- Served as editorial consultant for several New Testament epistles in the revision of The New Century Version. Dallas: Word, 1986-87.
- Produced the October, November, and December 1979 issues of "The Daily Walk," the devotional guide published by Walk Thru the Bible Ministries.