Initially funded and endowed by friends and family of Dr. and Mrs. Birk, in honor of the Birks’ ministry to and with Denver Seminary, this scholarship remains open to gifts from those who also desire to help provide financial assistance to continuing students pursuing their Master of Divinity (MDiv). The purpose of the Dr. Douglas V. and Lucille I. Birk Endowed Scholarship is to provide tuition assistance for MDiv students who are committed to a career in full-time pastoral ministry.
“My wife and I are both students at Denver Seminary (MDiv and MA in Clinical Counseling) and have four children. This scholarship is helping me to complete my degree and provide for my family of six. Our greatest desire is to love God and share that love…this has meant church and unchurched, broken and healthy, Americans and Indonesians, Jews and Muslims, cynics and contented people. We want nothing more than to continue to live and share our life and faith in Jesus with a world in desperate need, and we know that the training and equipping from Denver Seminary is helping us to do just that. Thank you for your gifts and provision through the Dr. Douglas V. and Lucille I. Birk Endowed Scholarship!”– Scholarship Recipient, 2017-2019
- Recipients will be full-time students (as established by the Seminary catalog) at Denver Seminary, enrolled in the Master of Divinity program. If there are no qualified full-time students at the time of distribution of the funds, a part-time student (taking less than full-time) may qualify as recipient.
- Recipients must be second year or later students.
- Recipients must demonstrate financial need and be in good academic standing.
- Recipients must be committed to pursuing a career of full-time pastoral ministry upon graduation.
- Scholarship may be renewed each year until the recipients graduate, as long as the recipients meet the above criteria and the degree is completed within the time period stated in the catalog.