“Here is no unanchored liberalism—freedom to think without commitment. Here is no encrusted dogmatism—commitment without freedom to think. Here is a vibrant evangelicalism—commitment with freedom to think within the limits laid down in Scripture.”
– Vernon Grounds, circa 1965
Dr. Vernon C. Grounds served Denver Seminary for over 60 years as academic dean, second (and longest) serving president, president emeritus, and chancellor. Honor the life, memory and legacy of the beloved Dr. Grounds by a gift to this scholarship, which and supports both the Vernon Grounds Graduation Award as well as academic scholarships for students who best emulate Dr. Ground’s character and convictions.
“In every age, God raises persons who not only have a keener sense of his ideals for life in community than their contemporaries, but who also have the courage and foresight to pursue these ideals for themselves and the ability to lead others to do the same. For more than a generation, Vernon Grounds has played such a prophetic and catalytic role in the arena of social ethics within the evangelical community. In doing so, he has established a legacy of Christian witness in the social domain that has been hailed by many as epoch making and pace setting.”
– Dr. Dieumeme Noelliste (Director of Grounds Institute of Public Ethics)
- Recipients should best emulate Dr. Grounds’ character and convictions.
- Recipients must be committed to pursuing vocational ministry upon completion of degree.
- Recipients must demonstrate financial need, be in good academic standing as determined by the Financial Aid Committee.
- Scholarship Funds may be renewed each year until the recipients graduate, as long as they meet the above criteria and the degree is completed within the time period stated in the catalog