The Hannay Military Chaplaincy Term-Endowed Scholarship is established to honor the memory of Vietnam veteran (Army 1st Lt.) Roger A. Hannay, CEO of Hannay Reels, Inc. He was proud of his country and proud to be a part of the U.S. military family. He also loved to share the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word, especially with those in the U.S. military forces. This scholarship provides financial assistance to students in the Master of Divinity Chaplaincy degree who are pursuing military chaplaincy, as evidenced by their commissioning as reserve officer Chaplain Candidates. Recipients will be given appropriate time to obtain denominational endorsement and physical fitness prerequisites as long as they are actively pursuing the candidate process.
- Recipients will be a full-time students at Denver Seminary, enrolled in a Master of Divinity-Chaplaincy program, pursuing their degrees residentially or online (as the military branch allows online work);
- Recipients for the Chaplaincy Certificate can qualify for this scholarship. However, a minimum of 72 hours Master’s level degree, inclusive of the certificate hours, must be completed to qualify;
- Recipients must have the intention to serve in a military chaplaincy vocation upon graduation. We recognize that there are commitments of pastoral experience, and often reserve service, upon graduation before they may qualify for a chaplaincy position. Approval is encouraged from the Director, Chaplaincy and Pastoral Counseling Programs for verification of the military application processes;
- Recipients must demonstrate financial need and be in good academic standing as determined by the Financial Aid Committee of the Seminary;
- If recipients have funding from prior service, this would not disqualify them from receiving this scholarship;
- Scholarships may be renewed each year until the recipients graduate, as long as the recipients meet the above criteria and the degree is completed within the time period stated in the catalog. Final approval of renewability will come from the Director, Chaplaincy and Pastoral Counseling Programs to ensure student is on the correct track and progressing accordingly.