Dr. William Klein joined the faculty of Denver Seminary in 1978. He is Professor Emeritus of New Testament Interpretation and served as associate academic dean from 1994 until 2001. He is a member of the Evangelical Theological Society, Society of Biblical Literature, and Institute for Biblical Research.
Areas of academic interest and research include Pauline theology, NT theology, and hermeneutics.
Dr. Klein earned a PhD from the University of Aberdeen in Scotland, an MDiv from Denver Seminary, and a BS from Wheaton College. He served Calvary Baptist Church in California as associate pastor, and has served as an elder in three local churches during his years in Denver.
Dr. Klein has written articles for biblical dictionaries and encyclopedias, and has published chapters or essays in several books and Festschrifts. He has published articles in Decision, Small Group Letter, and Moody Magazine. Other articles and reviews have appeared in such journals as New Testament Studies, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Westminster Theological Journal, Themelios, Trinity Journal, Ashland Theological Journal, Religious Studies Review, Scottish Journal of Theology, and Near East Archaeological Society Bulletin. He has written The New Chosen People: A Corporate View of Election and The Book of Ephesians: An Annotated Bibliography.
Dr. Klein also edited and was the major contributor to An Introduction to Biblical Interpretation and has consulted on several Bible versions, serving as chief exegetical consultant for the New Testament portion of The Message. He is the author of “Ephesians” in the revised edition of the Expositor’s Bible Commentary; Become What You Are: Spiritual Formation According to the Sermon on the Mount; the notes on “Ephesians” and “Romans” in the Apologetics Study Bible; and the Handbook for Personal Bible Study.
Pauline theology, NT theology, and hermeneutics.
Books Authored, Co-Authored, and Co-Edited
- Introduction to Biblical Interpretation, 3rd. ed. Co-authored with Craig L. Blomberg and Robert L. Hubbard, Jr. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2017. A workbook and DVD course also accompanies this textbook.
- The New Chosen People: A Corporate View of Election. Revised and expanded edition. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2015.
- Handbook for Personal Bible Study Second Edition. Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 2021.
- Become What You Are. Spiritual Formation According to the Sermon on the Mount. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2006.
- “Ephesians.” In Expositor’s Bible Commentary. Gen. ed. T. Longman, III and D. E. Garland, Vol. 12, 2nd ed. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006, 19-173.
- Ephesians: An Annotated Bibliography. New York: Garland Publishing, 1996.
Peer-Reviewed Scholarly Articles
- “Can You Worship Anyplace? Reflections on How the New Testament Answers the Question.” In Midwestern Journal of Theology 9/2. (Fall 2010): 96-121.
- Notes on “Romans” and “Ephesians.” In the Apologetics Study Bible. Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2007.
- “Exegetical Rigor with Hermeneutical Humility: The Calvinist-Arminian Debate and the New Testament.” In New Testament Greek and Exegesis. Essays in Honor of Gerald F. Hawthorne, ed. A.M. Donaldson and T.B. Sailors. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2003, pp. 23-36.
- “Evangelical Hermeneutics.” In Initiation into Theology. Ed. Adrio König. Pretoria, South Africa: J. L. Van Schaik, 1998.
- “Reading Ephesians: The Glory of Christ in the Church,” Southwestern Journal of Theology 39/1 (Fall, 1996), pp. 14-19.
- “The Sermon at Nazareth (Luke 4:14-22).” In Christian Freedom: Essays in Honor of Vernon C. Grounds, ed. K. W. M. Wozniak and S. J. Grenz. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 1986.
- “Noisy Gong or Acoustic Vase? A Note on 1 Corinthians 13.1.” New Testament Studies 32/2 (1986): 286-289.
- “Paul’s Use of kalein: A Proposal.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 27/1 (1984): 53‑64.
- “Bless Your Persecutors.” Moody Magazine 100/5 (May/June 2000), pp. 33-40.
- “Think on These Things.” Moody Magazine 99/1 (September/October 1998), pp. 31-34. Reprinted in The Christian Reader, July/August 1999, pp. 59-62.
- “Do All Need Christ?” Moody Magazine 98/1 (September/October 1997), pp. 27-29.
- “Don’t Love the World (1 John 2:15-17).” Decision 38/6 (June 1997), pp. 31-35.
- “Faith.” The Sermon Builder 2/1 (Spring, 1993) 10.
- “Behold the Man: Angry!” Moody Monthly 91/7 (March, 1991): 18-19.
- “The Tale of the Tree and the Temple.” Moody Monthly 85/4 (December, 1984): 92ff. [includes side-bar suggesting helps for doing narrative sermons].
- “When Does Praying Become Pestering?” Moody Monthly 85/3 (November, 1984): 30ff.
- Articles in The Small Group Letter (Navigators): “Mathētēs,” Vol. 1/1 (April, 1984); “Präys,” Vol. 1 / 2 (May, 1984); “Gonypeteō,” Vol.1 / 4 (July-Aug. 1984); “Philadelphia,” Vol. 1/5 (September, 1984); “Hypokrisis,” Vol. 1/6 (October, 1984); “Eusebeia,” Vol. 1/7 (Nov./Dec., 1984); “Palingenesia,” Vol. 1/8 (January, 1985); “Auxanō,” Vol. 1/9 (February, 1985).
Dictionary & Encyclopedia Entries
- “Sacred Texts: Hermeneutics.” In Encyclopedia of Language & Linguistics – Second Edition, 14 volumes. Editor-in-chief, Keith Brown. Amsterdam et al.: Elsevier, 2006, Vol. 10: 723-29.
- Seven articles in Dictionary of Biblical Imagery. Ed. Tremper Longman, III, et al. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1998.
- “Election.” In Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Developments. Ed. R. P. Martin and P.H. Davids. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1997.
- “Perfect, Mature.” In Dictionary of Paul and His Letters. Ed. G. Hawthorne and R. P. Martin. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993, pp. 699-701.
- Eighteen articles for Nelson’s Bible Dictionary. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1986.
Book Reviews & Other Work
- Numerous book reviews in various journals including: Ashland Theological Journal, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Westminster Theological Journal, Themelios, Scottish Journal of Theology, Denver Journal, The Bible Translator, et al.
- Chief exegetical consultant and chairman of exegetical committee for the New Testament edition of Eugene Peterson’s, The Message. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 1993.
- Served as editorial consultant for several New Testament epistles in the revision of The New Century Version. Dallas: Word, 1986-87.
- Produced the October, November, and December 1979 issues of “The Daily Walk,” the devotional guide published by Walk Thru the Bible Ministries.