Senior Pastor Job Description
The Senior Pastor will serve as an elder alongside our board of elected Elders to lead Living Hope Church in glorifying God by vibrantly serving our community and world as a diverse, Biblically-based, and Christ-centered family.
As a fellowship of Christians, Living Hope Church longs to see spiritual transformation in the lives of the congregation. It is our belief that Christ-like, transformed living will provide an effective witness. As we worship and serve our risen Lord together, it is our prayer that we will bring glory to God and provide the hope of the gospel to a fallen world; with the objective of fulfilling the Great Commission. Matthew 28:19-20
Qualifications and Responsibilities
Encourage the body of Christ and equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ. As written in Eph 4:11-13
- Maintain a personal practice of prayer, worship, and study of God’s Word.
- Be an example of Christ working as it pertains to life and godliness.
- Do good for the sake of the Gospel; live in accordance as one “Who loves what is good” as written in Titus 1: 6-9.
- Seek divine wisdom in order to understand the Word. (1 Cor 2:12-16)
- Believe that the Bible is God’s Word and if every word of God is pure and true (Psalm 12:6; 19:9; 119: 140) then every word deserves to be examined and understood.
- Preach the Word with authority and faithfulness.
- Teach the Word in an expository manner based on sound doctrine.
(Expository preaching is to correctly interpret and explain the text in its context. Then, share the text to reveal how God is speaking to the lives of the congregants today, thus revealing the true meaning of the Word.)
- Proactively plan, prepare, and organize the Sunday morning worship service to include the message and the other parts of the service. In addition, plan and prepare for other special services throughout the year. (ie weddings, funerals, holiday services, etc.) Oversee, along with the Elders, Sunday school, music, baptisms, and other activities that are held on Sundays and throughout the year.
- Teaching shall be directed to both believers and non-believers.
Shepherd: Oversee all pastoral activities within the church. Direct, in conjunction with the Elders, all staff and congregants in pastoral care in order to provide counseling and spiritual guidance.
Pray: Pray regularly for the people and ministries of the church.
- Oversee and regularly hold meetings with all church staff in regards to the planning and deployment of ministries.
- Provide regular ministry updates to Elders and congregation.
- Develop and equip leaders of ministry groups.
- Oversee the ministry teams throughout the church and develop new ministry groups as directed by the Elders.
- The Senior Pastor will be accountable to the Elder Board and congregation.
- Represent Living Hope Church within the Jefferson City community and throughout the Evangelical Free organization.
- Maintain regular office hours and be accessible by phone when away from the office.
- Attend congregational meetings and events.
Education: Masters of DivinityTo Apply: firstname.lastname@example.org