Dr. Sung Wook Chung joined the faculty of Denver Seminary in 2005 and serves as Professor of Christian Theology, Director of the Asian Initiative and Chair of Korean Studies Program. He is a member of the American Academy of Religion, Evangelical Theological Society, Calvin Studies Society, Society of Biblical Literature, and the Karl Barth Society of North America. He served Kurios International, a global missional organization as founder and president from 2012 to 2019. He currently serves C-Connection as founding chair of the board, Marked Men for Christ as a member of its global board, JD Kim Ministries as a member of the board and Korean American Scholarship Foundation’s Mountain States Regional Chapter as founding president and a board member.
Dr. Chung earned a DPhil from the University of Oxford and an MDiv from Harvard University. He also earned a BA from Keimyung University in Daegu, South Korea, and Whitworth University, Spokane, WA, USA. Dr. Chung served in the Bible and religion department at King University, Bristol, TN from 2000–2005. While working as a professor of theology, he also served the Tri-City Korean Church as pastor.
He has published numerous articles and books, both in English and Korean. He has authored Admiration and Challenge: Karl Barth’s Theological Relationship with John Calvin, co-authored Models of Premillennialism, and edited Alister McGrath and Evangelical Theology: A Dynamic Engagement, Christ the One and Only: A Global Affirmation of the Uniqueness of Jesus Christ, Karl Barth and Evangelical Theology: Convergences and Divergences, A Case for Historic Premillennialism: An Alternative to “Left Behind” Eschatology (co-editor, translated into Korean ), John Calvin and Evangelical Theology: Legacy and Prospect (translated into Korean), Jürgen Moltmann and Evangelical Theology: A Critical Engagement, and Diverse and Creative Voices: Theological Essays from the Majority World (co-editor).
Dr. Chung has also contributed to The Interface of Science, Theology, and Religion: Essays in Honor of Alister E. McGrath, Evangelical Theological Method: Five Views, So Great a Salvation: Soteriology in the Majority World, NIV Understand the Faith Study Bible, Dictionary of Everyday Theology and Culture, The Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization, Oxford Handbook of Evangelical Theology, and Global Dictionary of Theology. He also authored in Korean Restoration and Transformation of the Korean Church, Bright and Blessed Eschatology, Systematic Theology Made Easy (translated into Indonesian), Christian Apologetics Made Easy, The Cross Theology and Spirituality, The Key Words of the Reformation, Trinitarian Theology and Spirituality, A Theological Dialogue with John Calvin, Apostles’ Creed for Group Study Bible, and Three Doctors’ Dialogue on Theology, Science, and Literature. He also translated the works of Paul Tillich’s The Theology of Peace, Jonathan Edwards’ Religious Affections and Concert of Prayer, Michael John Cusick’s Surfing for God (co-translator), John Jefferson Davis’ Meditation and Communion with God (co-translator) and Alister E. McGrath’s Evangelicalism and the Future of Christianity into Korean. He is a frequent conference and seminar speaker.
Gospel of John, biblical discipleship, patristic spirituality, spiritual direction, Psalms as prayer, kingdom of God.
- Karl Barth and Evangelical Theology: Convergences and Divergences. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2008.
- Christ the One and Only: A Global Affirmation of the Uniqueness of Jesus Christ. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2005.
- Alister E. Mcgrath and Evangelical Theology: A Dynamic Engagement. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2003.
- Admiration and Challenge: Karl Barth’s Theological Relationship with John Calvin. New York: Peter Lang, 2002.
Books Edited and Co-Edited
- Diverse and Creative Voices: Theological Essays from the Majority World. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2015.
- Jurgen Moltmann and Evangelical Theology: A Critical Engagement. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2012.
- John Calvin and Evangelical Theology: Legacy and Prospect. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox, 2009.
- A Case for Historic Premillennialism: An Alternative to “Left Behind” Eschatology. Grand Raipds, MI: Baker Academic, 2009.
- Three Doctors’ Dialogue on Theology, Science and Literature. Seoul: Bethany, 2010. Co-authored with Dongchan Kim and Insoo Kim.
- An Exposition of the Apostles’ Creed for Group Bible Study. Louisville, KY: PCUSA Congregational Ministries Division, 2009.
- An Exposition of the Apostles’ Creed for Group Bible Study: Leader Guide. Louisville, KY: PCUSA Congregational Ministries Division, 2009.
- An Integration of Asian and Western Interpretations about the Two Witnesses in Revelation 11. Korean and English edition.
- Trinitarian Theology and Spirituality.
- The Key Words of the Reformation.
- Christian Apologetics Made Easy.
- Christian Systematic Theology Made Easy.
- Christian Systematic Theology Made Easy. Indonesian Translation (Belagar Teologi Sistematika Dengan Mudah), ISI Press, 2004.
- A Dialogue Between John Calvin and Dr. Chung.
- The Cross Theology Spirituality. The Revival and Reformation Press.