Dr. David Mathewson joined the faculty of Denver Seminary in 2011 as associate professor of New Testament. He is a member of the Society for Biblical Literature.
Dr. Mathewson has earned a BA from Colorado Christian University, an MA from Denver Seminary and a PhD in New Testament from the University of Aberdeen. Areas of research interest include the Book of Revelation, apocalyptic literature, Greek and linguistics, and biblical theology.
Before coming to Denver Seminary, Dr. Mathewson was an associate professor of biblical studies at Gordon College. He also served as an adjunct faculty member at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.
In addition to authoring Voice and Mood: a Linguistic Approach (Baker), A Companion to the Book of Revelation (Cascade), Intermediate Greek Grammar: A Syntax for Students of the New Testament (Baker), and Revelation: A Handbook on the Greek Text (Baylor), he has written numerous articles that have appeared in publications such as Novum Testamentum, Trinity Journal, Journal for the Study of the New Testament, and the Journal of Evangelical Theological Society.
- A Companion to the Book of Revelation, Cascade Books, 2020.
- A Commentary on 1-2 Reigns Based on Codex Vaticanus. Septuagint Commentary Series. Edited by Stanley E. Porter and Rick Hess. Brill, forthcoming.
- Revelation: A Handbook on the Greek Text. Baylor: Baylor University Press, 2016.
- Verbal Aspect in the Book of Revelation. Linguistic Biblical Studies 4. Leiden: Brill, 2010.
- A New Heaven and a New Earth: The Meaning and Function of the Old Testament in Revelation 21.1-22.5. JSNTS 238. Sheffield: Academic Press, 2003.
Peer-Reviewed Scholarly Articles and Book Contributions
- “A Reexamination of Paul’s Opponents in Colossians,” in The Language and Literature of the New Testament: Essays in Honor of Stanley E. Porter’s 60th Birthday, eds. Lois K. Fuller Dow, Craig A. Evans, and Andrew W. Pitts (Leiden: Brill, 2017), 660-79.
- “The Character of Barabbas in the Fourth Gospel: Foil for Jesus, the Jewish Leadership, and Pilate;” “Satan, the Devil, and the Ruler of this World in the Fourth Gospel,” in Character Studies in the Fourth Gospel, eds. Steven A. Hunt, D. Francois Tolmie, R. Zimmermann (Mohr Siebeck, 2013).
- “The Abused Present,” Bulletin for Biblical Research 23.3 (2013): 343-63.
- “Being Filled with the Spirit: Ephesians 5:18-21;” “Focusing Attention on Christ: Revelation 5:7,” in Devotions on the Greek New Testament, ed. Verlyn Verbrugge and J. Scott Duvall(Zondervan, 2012).
- “The Apocalyptic Vision of Jesus According to the Gospel of Matthew: Reading Matthew 3:16-4:11 Intertextually.” Tyndale Bulletin 62.1 (May, 2011): 89-108.
- “SBJT Forum: What Does the Bible Teach with Regard to the Christian’s Future Hope?” Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 14 (Spring, 2010): 70-72.
- “Abraham: The Father of Many Nations in Revelation,” in Perspectives on Our Father Abraham: Essays in Honor of Marvin Wilson, ed. Steven A. Hunt (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2010), 169-83.
- “Verbal Aspect in the Apocalypse of John: An Analysis of Revelation 5,” Novum Testamentum 50 (2008): 58-77.
- “Isaiah in the Book of Revelation,” in Isaiah in the New Testament, eds. S. Moyise and M. Menken (London: Continuum, 2005), 189-210.
- “New Exodus as a Background for ‘The Sea Was No More’ in Revelation 21.1c,” Trinity Journal 24 (Fall, 2003): 243-58.
- “Assessing Old Testament Allusions in the Book of Revelation,” Evangelical Quarterly 74 (2003): 311-25.
- “A Note on the Foundation Stones in Revelation 21.14, 19-20,” Journal for the Study of the New Testament 25.4 (2003): 487-98.
- “The Destiny of the Nations in Revelation 21:1-22:5: A Reconsideration,” Tyndale Bulletin 53.1 (2002): 121-42.
- “A Re-examination of the Millennium in Rev 20:1-6: Consummation and Recapitulation,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 44 (2001): 237-51.
- “Reading Heb 6:4-6 in Light of the Old Testament,” Westminster Theological Journal 61 (1999): 209-25.
- “Verbal Aspect in Imperatival Constructions in Pauline Ethical Injunctions,” Filologia Neotestamentaria 17 (Mayo, 1996): 21-35.
- “The Parable of the Unjust Steward (Luke 16:1-13): A Reexamination of the Traditional View in Light of Recent Challenges,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 38 (1995): 29-39.
- “Revelation in Recent Genre Criticism: Some Implications for Interpretation,” Trinity Journal 13 (1992): 193-213.
- Ian Boxall, Patmos in the Reception History of the Apocalypse, Oxford Theology and Religion Monographs (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013) for Bulletin for Biblical Research 24.2 (2014).
- Michael F. Bird, Evangelical Theology: A Biblical and Systematic Introduction (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2013) for The Denver Journal (Denver Seminary) 17 (2014).
- Michael F. Bird and Joseph R. Dodson, eds. Paul and the Second Century, Library of New Testament Studies, 412 (London: T. & T. Clark, 2011) for Journal for the Bible and Its Reception (DeGruyter, 2014).
- Stephen Fowl, Ephesians, The New Testament Library (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2012) for The Denver Journal (Denver Seminary) 16 (2013).
- Murray J. Harris, Prepositions and Theology in the Greek New Testament (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2012) for The Denver Journal (Denver Seminary) 16 (2013).
- Gareth Lee Cockerill, The Epistle to the Hebrews, NICNT (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2012) for The Denver Journal (Denver Seminary) 16 (2013).
- Jonathan Moo, Creation, Nature and Hope in 4 Ezra (FRLANT 237; Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2011) for The Denver Journal (Denver Seminary) 15 (2012).
- Douglas J. Moo, The Letters to the Colossians and to Philemon (Pillar New Testament Commentary; Eerdmans, 2008) for The Denver Journal (Denver Seminary) 14 (2011).
- Richard Bauckham, Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: the Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony (Eerdmans, 2006) for The Portable Seminary (October, 2007).
- Barbara Rossing, The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation (Westview, 2004) for Review of Biblical Literature (Aug, 2005).
- Steve Moyise (ed.), Studies in the Book of Revelation (Continuum, 2001) for Evangelical Quarterly 77 (2005).
- Loren Johns, The Lamb Christology in the Apocalypse of John (WUNT; Mohr Siebeck, 2003) for The Denver Journal (Denver Seminary) 7 (2004).
- Thomas B. Slater, Christ and Community: A Socio-Historical Study of the Christology of Revelation (JSNTSS; Sheffield: 1999) for Evangelical Quarterly 75 (2003).
- Gregory K. Beale, John’s Use of the Old Testament in Revelation (JSNTSS; Sheffield, 1998) for Evangelical Quarterly 73 (2001).
- C. Judson Davis, The Name and Way of the Lord: Old Testament Themes, New Testament Christology (JSNTSS; Sheffield, 1996) for Evangelical Quarterly 73 (2001).
- Gregory K. Beale, The Book of Revelation (NIGTC; Eerdmans, 1999) for Themelios 25 (2000).
- J. Ramsey Michaels, Revelation (IVP NT Commentary Series; IVP, 1997) for Evangelical Quarterly 71 (1999).
- Ben Witherington, John’s Wisdom: A Commentary on the Fourth Gospel (Westminster John Knox, 1995) for Evangelical Quarterly 70 (1998).