Scholarships, grants, and tuition discounts are a great way to reduce the amount that it costs to attend school.
Applying for Grants & Scholarships
How do I apply?
- Complete an Online Scholarship Application.
- Respond to your award offers via the Award Letter which can be found on your Student Portal. You will receive an email notification when you have awards pending
Application Deadlines 2020-2021
- First Priority Deadline: March 1, 2020
The Presidential Scholarship, Kingdom Scholarship, and Engaging Hope Scholarship applications are also due by March 1, 2020
- General Application Deadline: May 1, 2020
- Late Application Deadline: July 1, 2020
- First Priority Deadline: November 1, 2020
- Second Priority Deadline: December 1, 2020
The Scholarship Committee will meet during the following weeks to review applications:
- Week of April 12, 2020
- Week of May 17, 2020
- Week of July 5, 2020
The Presidential Scholarship, Kingdom Scholars Scholarship and the Engaging Hope Scholarship have separate applications that must be completed. All documentation must be submitted by March 1, 2020. Students who are selected will be notified by March 30, 2020 that they have been selected for the interview portion of the application (Engaging Hope excluded).
If you have been told by your Admission Counselor to apply or feel that you meet the criteria please complete the application below.
Presidential Scholarship Application
This scholarship is primarily for new students. It is geared towards students whose academic record, ministry experience and personal maturity set them apart. The scholarship will pay full tuition and fees per year and up to $10,000 in on campus housing per year.
- Be enrolled in the Masters of Divinity Program.
- Be committed to completing their degree as a full time residential student in 3 years (26 credit hours per year).
- Recipients will be required to attend regular meetings with senior faculty members.
- Recipients are also required to be actively serving in a local ministry or church during their time as a student.
- The application process includes the separate online application and two references (one from a pastor and one from a professor). If you are selected, there is the potential for an in person interview.
Kingdom Scholarship Application
The purpose of the Kingdom Scholars Endowed Scholarship is to provide tuition assistance for deserving Master of Divinity students pursuing careers in full-time ministry (pastor, youth pastor, worship pastor, counselor, church planter, or missionary). It is a 50% tuition discount and is geared towards new students.
- Be enrolled full time, in the Master of Divinity Program.
- Be committed to pursuing a career in full time ministry upon graduation, and be willing to participate in all tacit curriculum events.
- Be a resident of the United States.
- Be age 35 or younger at the time of application.
- Have a 3.1 GPA from the most recent degree obtained.
- Maintain a 3.25 GPA while in school.
- The application process includes the separate online application and two references (one from a pastor and one from a professor).
Registration is now closed
Engaging Hope Scholarship Application
The purpose of the Engaging Hope Scholarship is to provide scholarships for new students. It is a 50% or 100% tuition discount where the priority goes towards international students and minority students.
- Be enrolled full time, in either the Master of Divinity or a Master of Arts program.
- Demonstrate financial need, and be in good academic standing.
- The application process includes the online application, and 2 references.
Institutional Grants & Scholarships are available to eligible students and are only awarded during the Fall and Spring semesters. Minimum credits, GPA, and other specific requirements can be found in the downloadable Scholarship Guide. One application will be required for the entire award year. A new application isn’t necessary for renewable scholarships as long as eligibility for a specific scholarship is maintained.
Register for, and maintain, at least the minimum required amount of credit hours per semester:
- Half-time: You must be registered for at least 5 credits per semester to maintain eligibility for the Seminary Grant, and a small handful of institutional scholarships. ThM, global, and extension campus students need only be enrolled in 3 credits per semester to be eligible for half-time scholarships.
- Full-time: You must be registered for at least 9 credits per semester to maintain eligibility for most institutional scholarships. ThM, global, and extension campus students need only be enrolled in 6 credits per semester to be eligible for full-time scholarships.
Maintain your cumulative GPA
All students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. Be aware of your scholarship's specific requirements.
If you have been awarded a scholarship, its name can be found on the Student Portal via the Award Letter or under ‘My Finances, Account Information, Registration Bill’ (until it is actually disbursed, at which point it will become its own line item under your actual Account Information).
Unlike grants and scholarships, tuition discounts are not competitive. The discount will be awarded if the applicant qualifies. Like grants and scholarships, discounts are subject to the terms and conditions listed in the Academic Catalog. Please contact Financial Aid for more information.
Church Partnership Discount
A discount for those students who’s Church pays at least 40% of their tuition. The Financial Aid Office will add the discount once the payment from the Church is received. If the payment is not received before the Add/Drop date for that semester no Discount will be given. Please note the combination of the Church payment and the Discount given by Denver Seminary will never exceed 100% of the students total tuition charges for the semester. Please see the charts below for how much of a discount will be given as it is based on the number of credits you are enrolled in.
|Residential Programs||ThM or Fully Online||DMin||% Discount|
Number of Credits
|9 or more credits||6 or more credits||3 or more credits||10%|
|5 credits||4-5 credits||1-2 credits||5%|
|4 or less credits||3 or less credits||---||3%|
A tuition discount for employees of Cru in the Great Plains region. The amount varies for full ($205.00 per credit hour) and part time employees (20% of total tuition), where full time is described as 32 hours a week or more. Students must submit a form to the Financial Aid Department each year to confirm continued employment. If the form is not received the discount will not be renewed. The discount will be added once the student submits their form to the financial aid office.
A 35% tuition discount for students who are full-time employees of Navigators who wish to pursue an advanced certificate, diploma, or degree. Full time is described as 32 hours per week. Students must submit a form to the Financial Aid Department each year to confirm continued employment. If the form is not received the discount will not be renewed. The discount will be added once the student submits their form to the financial aid office.
Youth For Christ
A tuition discount for employees of Youth for Christ. The amount varies for full (20% of total tuition) and part time employees (15% of total tuition), where full time is described as 32 hours a week or more. Students must submit a form to the Financial Aid Department each year to confirm continued employment. If the form is not received the discount will not be renewed. The discount will be added once the student submits their form to the financial aid office.
A 25% tuition discount for Denver Seminary students enrolled in the programs offered at the Washington DC campus. Students must meet these requirements:
- Be a member or employee in good standing at a church that is a member of Project Bridges.
- Be an employee of an organization that is a member of Project Bridges.
To apply please complete the Project Bridges Tuition Scholarship Application and have your church or organization send it to Project Bridges via FAX at 301.262.0305 or email to . If your church or organization isn’t a member of Project Bridges, please visit www.projectbridges.org for more information.
First Baptist Church of Glenarden Discount
A 25% tuition discount for students attending the Washington DC campus that are members in good standing at the First Baptist Church of Glenarden.
Spouse Half-Tuition Discount
A 50% tuition discount available to spouses of full-time students (classified as 9 credits for Residential programs, 6 credits for Fully Online Global programs, 3 for the DMin program) where the full-time student is enrolled in a degree seeking program. Both the student and spouse must be attending Denver Seminary concurrently, the spouse receiving the discount will be the spouse that has the lesser credits, or is non-degree seeking. If the student receiving the discount also has Denver Seminary given scholarships or grants those would be cancelled as to not exceed the 50% discount. Contact Financial Aid to receive this discount, documentation may be requested to show proof of marriage.
External Scholarship Resources
Here are a few External Scholarship Resources and Search Engines that can be helpful with obtaining outside funding. Just as we recommend never paying to complete your FAFSA, never pay to complete a scholarship application. See the Federal Trade Commission for their recommendations on scholarship scams. Also reach out to your local Church and other organizations that you are a part of, to see if they have scholarships that you may not be aware of.